Exped Spica II UL - Any Experience?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robin Woodward 18 May 2017
Hi,

Looking into getting a new light weight but robust 2 person tent. Main uses are either for one person to use for ML/Group work (up to a week) or solo trips (likely in campsites - probably weekend), or for 2 people to use for 2-3 day trips (walking or climbing) or alpine/winter bivi alternative. MUST BE ABLE TO PITCH AS ONE or FLY FIRST!

Ideally looking for something under 2 kg, under £400 and (reasonably) robust, and preferably not one of the a-symmetrical ones which doesn't actually fit two 52 cm wide mats.

Our current contender is the Exped Spica II UL, as it seems to fit the bill well (and I'm impressed by our other Exped tent - Venus III DLX), but I can't find much in the way of reviews, and although it has a 10,000 mm HH floor, it's only got a 1500 mm HH fly, which I'm not sure if I should be concerned about.

Any experience with the Spica, or alternative suggestions, most welcomed.
 ben b 18 May 2017
In reply to Robin Woodward:

Macpac Minaret not far off the weight (2.1kg) and very robust. Cramped for 2 for 2-3 days though (porch a bit small). Easy all in one pitch - two pegs, two poles, tie down. Good winter bivvy alternative. There's a couple of photos of mine in the gallery I think.

b
In reply to ben b:
Yeah, the Minaret was second on the list, but slightly more expensive and slightly heavier (2.1 vs 1.4 kg for essentially the same size) doesn't quite weigh in it's favour... however maybe I should take this sacrifice to get a 3000 mm HH (although you need to seal the seems yourself) rather than the 1500 mm HH on the Spica fly.
Post edited at 13:36

I'm thinking of going for a Lightwave T20 Hyper in the end. I've seen someone on here who has had a bad experience with leakage, but I think that was with the Trail version (different fly coating). I think the weight/strength/size/ waterproofness ratio is probably a good compromise for use and longevity.
 ben b 27 May 2017

When it boils down to it, you can have light or strong. If very lucky/rich, light enough and strong enough is do-able - but strong still equals heavy in most mountain applications.

If it's gong to be carried a lot and used in general mountain conditions, then the equation favours lighter and something like the T20 is a good choice. If however you really need extreme weather protection, exposed sites, torrential rain and hurricane force winds then (a) good luck and (b) heavy wins out, and you just get fitter lugging it around. The same is also true for longevity, particularly the groundsheet strength - certainly a plus point in the Macpac tents (you should see some of our plants...).

good luck

b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...