Soft-shell jacket at sea water?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ROSP 17 May 2017
Hi all, I'd appreciate some advice!

I'm going sailing with friends next month and I'm thinking about wearing by softhsell jacket( Patagonia knife ridge) when it's too hot to wear full sailing waterproofs. Will a softshell be damaged by saltwater?

Cheers,

Ross
 Mal Grey 17 May 2017
In reply to ROSP:

No more than any breathable waterproofs; salt may mean the membrane's pores clog more easily, and metal zippers might be at risk, but if you give it a wash on your return it'll be fine I'm sure.

starbug 18 May 2017
In reply to ROSP:

Sailed round the scottish islands with some friends. Not a sailor so just took my normal hill gear.
Rab / NF / Berghaus etc waterproofs and softshells. Washed it all when I got back and haven't
noticed any difference.
 Toerag 18 May 2017
In reply to ROSP:

Your clothes will get covered in salt spray even if you don't notice it and that'll stop any DWR from working. So you'll need to wash them, and potentially re-proof any DWR.
 PGD 18 May 2017
In reply to ROSP:

zips will be the biggest concern. If zips fine and metal they will get more easily corroded or blocked by salt.
 marsbar 18 May 2017
In reply to ROSP:

Personally I'd wear something cheaper so it doesn't matter if the zips get wrecked. The salt water will need through washing out afterwards.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...