REVIEW: Stanley Master Series Flask

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 16 May 2017
Stanley Master Series 1.3L Flask Review, 3 kbOur resident tea drinker takes on the challenge of reviewing a flask that actually has a point of difference beyond colour - namely, that it keeps things much hotter for far longer.

Read more
 neuromancer 16 May 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

All I have to say is thermos ultimate.

Make hot choc at 0615 before a day of Scottish winter climbing on the ben. Open it at 1945 and burn tongue on drink.
 simes303 16 May 2017
It was pointed out recently that many of my comments regarding gear reviews expressed disbelief at the price of the gear being reviewed. I thought I'd be able to hold off commenting for a while but this one is the biggest joke yet. £75? Seventy five pounds? For a thermos flask. OH. MY. GOD. I can't believe what I've just read.

Edit: In March, my girlfriend and I drove down from Sheffield and had eight days in Devon which cost us slightly more each than the price of two thermos flasks. Unbelievable.
Post edited at 19:34
kmhphoto 16 May 2017

At 2.6kg full I think I'll pass on carrying that around.
 Ridge 16 May 2017
In reply to simes303:

To an extent you do get what you pay for. I have a Thermos 'thin and light' ( or something like that), which is massively better insulated than the average, even with big dents in it.

However, the flask being reviewed is ridiculously expensive for what it is. (Although I do like the fact it doesn't have one of those f***ing stupid lids with the pouring mechanism).
 wilkesley 16 May 2017
In reply to neuromancer:

Definitely the mutt's nuts. We have three of various sizes. Cost around £20-30 depending on size.
 TobyA 16 May 2017
In reply to simes303:

> I thought I'd be able to hold off commenting for a while but...

Simes - a review thread just wouldn't be a review thread without one of your comments!

Actually, I'm rather inclined towards your perspective on this. I remember reviewing a base layer that was jolly good, but I couldn't really say that it was 10 times better than one from Decathlon because that is how much it was - about 10x the price of cheap alternative.

I'm sure this is a great flask but it's about 20 x the price of my big one I got in Asda, and my Asda one works very well, so can it be 20 times better? But I guess price and quality aren't in a neat relationship like that.
In reply to Ridge:

> To an extent you do get what you pay for. I have a Thermos 'thin and light' ( or something like that), which is massively better insulated than the average, even with big dents in it.

I have one of those - 530 g, compared to the 1300 g of an empty "ultimate". A really good flask - noticeably lighter than than my old 1L Stanley flask and keeps drinks hot at least all day. Given that I am a fair-weather sport climber, more than enough for my purposes.
 snoop6060 16 May 2017

Come on rob everybody knows it's all about how long you get before every single thing you put in it tastes like flask. Normally about 2 weeks for the shitty ones I buy. How did this one fare?

Flask tea is grim! Gotta be coffee with lots of rum to take the edge off the flaskyness.
 kevin stephens 16 May 2017
In reply to snoop6060: just learn to drink tea properly without milk as originally intended, tea stays really good in a flask without milk

Tommyads 16 May 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

Kevin is correct. You shouldn't be adding milk. Try add some lemon if you can't do real tea.

I feel like there should be an accompanying "Skills Article" to go along side this review. Let me know if you need contribution Rob.
 Tony Jones 16 May 2017
In reply to kevin stephens:

> just learn to drink tea properly without milk as originally intended, tea stays really good in a flask without milk

Good grief!

This is what happens when we are infiltrated by Johnny Foreigner. Tea, without milk? Splutter. Harder Brexit, now! Nurse Theresa!
 snoop6060 17 May 2017
In reply to Tommyads:
Yorkshire tea with lemon in! Your are from the south i take it?
Post edited at 00:34
 Ridge 17 May 2017
In reply to kevin stephens:

> just learn to drink tea properly without milk as originally intended, tea stays really good in a flask without milk

I put hot water and milk in the flask, then brew my coffee (or tea) in my insulated mug. Stops the flasky taste developing.
 Guy Hurst 17 May 2017
In reply to Ridge:
Hot Ribena or Vimto is the stuff to drink. It's quick and faff free to make, and leaves the flask easy to clean out — but not that monster from Stanley, something like the Thermos Ultimate which does the job really well and yet doesn't weigh as much as a house brick.
Removed User 17 May 2017

Might as well take a pocket rocket and mug and enjoy a fresh brew at that weight.
 dereke12000 22 May 2017

Another vote for the Thermos Ultimate - one of the most essential items of my climbing kit. Light enough for multi-pitch climbs (tea at the top out is bliss), no flaskey taste, stays hot all day, sensible price.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...