Alpkit's Sonder Frontier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Wulfrunian 16 May 2017
Hello

Do we have any Sonder Frontier owners on here? I'm looking for a new bike for putting in the mileage on local (flattish) cross-country trails & natural hilly stuff further afield (Lakes, mid-Wales etc.) that will turn its hand to bikepacking. The Frontier in rigid guise (undecided on 650b+ or 29") looks to be very good value. I'm a big fan of 1x11 too. Anyone own one and can comment? Anything similar around for similar money (alu hardtail, rack mounts, 1x11)?

Thanks.
 TobyA 16 May 2017
In reply to Wulfrunian:

Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus. Very similar bike and price. My thread from Sunday has a sort of review and some pics from last weekend bikepacking.
In reply to Wulfrunian:

I'm interested to also know as I'm seriously thinking of buying the Frontier in the next few months.

Wulfrunian 16 May 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks - very interesting. Had just stumbled upon the Ramin 3 plus and was reading about it as you posted. Slipping seat post seems to be a common problem. Undersized post or oversized tube I wonder?
 TobyA 16 May 2017
In reply to Wulfrunian:

Could be the shim. Designed so you can add a dropper, but a bit of a compromise. The wheels are reckoned to be great with the Ramin -they do feel light with no tubes. Don't know if the Alpkit ones are as good - they might be but the WTB ones have a great rep.

Bear Bones Bikepacking love the Ramin, a number of reviews there plus a first look at the frontier.
Wulfrunian 17 May 2017
In reply to Wulfrunian:

Popped in to local bike shop to see if they had anything suitable. Nothing specifically bikepacky but they did think a Whyte 629 29'er might fit the bill. No idea yet how wide a tyre it will take, or whether it will run 27.5+ (or, indeed, whether it matters - probably not) and they'd need to order my size in for me to try it (it's a long, slack beast by all accounts). Decent spec. though and a lovely looking frame. The potential clincher is they'd do it for the price of the rigid Frontier. D'oh, decisions decisions....

Anyone else hanker for the days when choice of bikes was limited to Grifter or Chopper? (and it was Grifter, obvs.)
Wulfrunian 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Wulfrunian:

Hello again.

Just an update for anyone following this thread. I've been scratching my head and generally going round in circles looking at potential bikes! Decided early on that I wanted something from a UK outfit, which limited the field of players.

I discounted the Sonder Frontier because it uses an odd rear hub standard that would make upgrading/replacing wheels difficult. Not too sure that a rigid aluminium fork would be too comfortable either.

Discounted the Ramin 3+ because, although it looks like a well spec'd and capable machine, it was perhaps a bit too "bikepacky" for my overall requirements.

Discounted the Whyte 629 'cos I think it's just too long and slack to be comfortable over any distance. I now realise 'trail bike' means 'trail centre bike' and I have no real interest in visiting such places.

Started looking at frames with a view to building something up. The Stooge looked like a contender for a while - a very versatile (and pretty) steel frame and rigid fork combo that would pretty much take any size wheel you could think of. None in stock at the moment though and probably a bit too much for my budget, meaning I'd have to compromise elsewhere (wheelset probably). Then remembered Sanderson from years back and found out they currently do a steel 29er frame at a decent price, with similar 'progressive' (ie. a bit of a hoot) geometry to the Frontier. Not much info available though. Think it'll take up to a 2.4" tyre but waiting to hear if it'll take 650b+ . Then chanced upon the Onza Payoff. Another steel 29er frame, similar geometry and will definitely take 650b+. Frame gets very favourable reviews and currently available with 10% discount direct from Onza. Also available in virtually the same shade of blue as my old Grifter. (Full build is available in a lovely sparkly orange, but not as frame only) I'm think I'm about to click buy....

Now, do I keep my old Cove Stiffee, sell it, or dismantle it and sell the bits!?

Apologies for rambling.

wilkesley 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Wulfrunian:

Have a look at http://tracksterman.tumblr.com/ . There is lots of information there.
 Ridge 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Wulfrunian:

Out of interest, what do you think of your Cove?
 Dauphin 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Wulfrunian:

Have a Stooge mark II with 650b wheels, 2.8" tyres and 1x11 Shimano XT. Superbly versatile machine, rides trails like a dream, bosses uphill and supposedly good for bikepacking although not done any yet - done a few 30 plus milers on bridleways on it with no comfort issues. Steel front fork is a bit different though, had to drop the tyre pressure on the front, apparently I should go tubeless.

D
Wulfrunian 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Ridge:

> Out of interest, what do you think of your Cove?

Bloody love it, but as I'm getting older I'm finding it uncomfortable after 2 or 3 hours in the saddle. Stiffee by name and by nature. Always brings a smile to my face when hooning about down the local woods though. However, it is not a mile-muncher and I'm after something more comfortable and practical for longer days out. No reason I can't keep it, but it's not really suited to the kind of riding I do now and is therefore likely to languish unused in the garage.

Ridge 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Wulfrunian:

Ta. Not really the bike for a 50year old with knackered knees then
 TobyA 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Dauphin:

> and supposedly good for bikepacking although not done any yet

Lazy boy. Get in touch with your inner tramp, there's a lovely hedge/dry stone wall (delete as geographically applicable) out there with your name for the night on it. (You can guess what my wild saturday night out this weekend entailed!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...