Running and needing the toilet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 15 May 2017
It seems that I have succombed to a common problem - that of needing to go for a poo after 30 minutes of running!

No matter if I run first thing in the morning, or late in the evening, I just find that I need to go after 30/40 minutes of running - even when i have tried to go before I start my run.

Any tips on how to overcome this problem? Apart from taking imodium before planning a run!
In reply to subtle:

Go for a run immediately after you have done a sh1t.
 Trangia 15 May 2017
In reply to subtle:

Diet? Try varying your diet, or maybe don't eat before a run? Otherwise have a chat with your GP, but I wouldn't recommend imodium, that could give you constipation
 yorkshireman 15 May 2017
In reply to subtle:

It's really not uncommon - in my experience it gets better the more you run - I think your digestive system gets more used to being bumped around. That said I still occasionally get caught out, especially on early morning runs.

I take immodium before a road 10k or marathon where stopping is going to cost significant time. For ultras it's just part of the race management.
 tjin 15 May 2017
In reply to subtle:

Only happens to me when there is not enough time between eating and running. I just need to settle the food for 2,5 hours and i'm good to go.
 krikoman 15 May 2017
In reply to subtle:

enema ?
 Neil Williams 15 May 2017
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> Go for a run immediately after you have done a sh1t.

A coffee or two and a glass of water tend, I find, to move things on such that this advice can be followed.

Dave the Rave 15 May 2017
In reply to subtle:

Run in the woods on your own. There's nowt better than getting the urge 15 minutes in, stopping for a shit in nature and wiping your arse on some sphagnum.
 Dauphin 21 May 2017
In reply to subtle:

Coffee and a fag before you put on the ron hills.

D
 ChrisBrooke 21 May 2017
In reply to subtle:
I get this every now and then, and spend the rest of the run worrying about crapping my shorts, or considering the plausibility of using my neck buff to wipe....
I'm trying to work out if there's a correlation to certain energy gels/snacks etc.
Post edited at 15:00
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Run in the woods on your own. There's nowt better than getting the urge 15 minutes in, stopping for a shit in nature and wiping your arse on some sphagnum.

Good advice, but if the OP is an inner city type can he replace the soft mossy stuff with discarded kfc packaging. I reckon a bargain bucket will be less appealing on the cigar cutter.
 Dave the Rave 21 May 2017
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> Good advice, but if the OP is an inner city type can he replace the soft mossy stuff with discarded kfc packaging. I reckon a bargain bucket will be less appealing on the cigar cutter.

Reckon so. Beware of getting any chilli relish on the chocolate starfish though, unless he needs a PB?
 d_b 21 May 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

I prescribe 6 months on a vindaloo diet as desensitisation therapy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...