Climbing Trousers DIY

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mad Mongoose 11 May 2017
I'm looking for climbing trousers but they can be a lot of money (specially for students) so I was thinking it must be possible to make a pair.

So has anyone tried to do this before and got any tips on materials, techniques patterns etc. so I can climb hard, be flexible and be brightly coloured
 pec 11 May 2017
In reply to Mad Mongoose:

You can buy fabrics from here
http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/fabrics or here https://www.profabrics.co.uk/collections/all/Outdoor-&-Camping
and you'll need a sewing machine (ebay?) and a pattern from a haberdashery shop or online perhaps?
I've made allsorts of outdoor stuff over the years though increasingly less as the cost of outdoor gear in real terms has come down considerably. You may well be able to get a pair of trousers from somewhere like Decathlon for less than buying the fabric and making them yourself.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-308329-trousers
 Davidwi 12 May 2017
As pec said you may be better off going to decathlon.
But if you make your own you can add in little extras. Pockets gear loops alsorts of ideas.
 jkarran 12 May 2017

What's wrong with some cheap tracksuit bottoms?
jk
 Toerag 12 May 2017
chef trousers? Or modern camo trousers
Post edited at 13:12
 Greasy Prusiks 12 May 2017

There's obviously loads of options for cheap trousers but that's not really the point.

I've been thinking about trying to make some, here's what I reckon. Making something like pyjamas out of light cotton is pretty straightforward (even if you can't sew) but making something tough enough for granite offwidths with pockets and a zip ect is pretty hard.

You'll definitely want a pattern (pyjamas a good bet here) otherwise they'll look ****. EBay is brilliant for fabric.
 loose overhang 13 May 2017
I have always got my trousers from the thrift store or charity shop. My favourites are men's (aka geezer's) double-knit, wool/polyester blend. Get some nylon iron-on patches for the knees and bum and you'll have a pair of bullet-proof trousers. Unfortunately, they won't be brightly coloured, but they will be as cheap as dirt.

PS: You might find them as part of a two-piece suit, so you can look smart if you don the jacket for the apres climb.
Post edited at 02:56
 Billhook 13 May 2017

You'll be simply wasting your time, money and effort trying to make your own.

It takes time, a pattern, a good sewing machine and skill to knock out trousers. They are one of the harder items to make at home. You'll; have to get any biase the right way and match too.

You don't need anything too fancy to climb in.

Over the years I' ve seen Ron Hill track suit bottoms come and go. Then there was a fashion for multi coloured baggy draw corded waist indian fabric style trousers. Plain old blue denim jeans were fashionable too. What next? Oh, yes, then there was a period where skin tight shiny material was used. Who knows what else was fashionable?

All you need is something that does not restrict your leg movement. Loose fitting work trousers should fit the bill.
 Derek Furze 13 May 2017

Back in student days I used to do this all the while. Although not tough enough for granite off-widths, my favourites were a lightweight pair in a rather fetching pink, orange, green multi-stripe. Luckily, it was the eighties. Not sure they would be considered environmentally sensitive now as they would probably disturb wildlife...
 Pbob 13 May 2017

I've often wondered about buying cheap work/outdoor trousers and retro-fitting a diamond gusset to make a decent pair for climbing in.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...