tent advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climber david 08 May 2017
Looking for some advice on which tent to buy. I've got a few requirements which are listed below

Large 2 man or a 3 man (Room for two plus a bunch of kit)
Durable and long lasting
Ideally a geodesic or semi geodesic design
outer first pitching (I live in scotland so putting a tent up in the rain is the norm and don't fancy a wet inner)
as light weight as possible (ideally light enough for backpacking/over night walking etc)

Budget is flexible but I'm not made of money so the cheaper the better however I'm willing to pay the price if what I'm looking for comes up

Where would be best to look and does anyone have any recommendations for tents that meet the criteria above. I know I may be looking for a unicorn but unless you ask you'll never know!

Cheers

DaveHK 08 May 2017
In reply to climber david:

> Ideally a geodesic or semi geodesic design outer first pitching

Those two really narrow the field, you might need to compromise on one of them as most tents of those styles pitch inner first.
 RhysRolfe 08 May 2017

The vango nemesis 300 is geodesic and outer pitch first.
its very large for two people, I haven't used it with 3 people yet but I think it would be comfortable.
It's 4.28 kg which is ok split between two people but you could get the two man version for a slight weight saveing (around 700g I think).
It's available online around £175.
cb294 08 May 2017

If you are looking for outer first, semigeodesic tents you should have a look

Hilleberg Saivo
http://europe.hilleberg.com/EN/tent/black-label-tents/saivo/

or the two man version called Tarra

or Vaude Power Sphaerio
https://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Tents/3-Person/Power-Sphaerio-3P?numbe...

I have the respective two man versions of both tents, and am very happy with either. The Vaude is a bit a lighter and probably too small for your purposes (one apsis only) and not quite as bombproof as the Hilleberg.

Both are expensive, but you can expect at least 15 years of service from either tent.

I also have two Hilleberg Keron tunnels, which are great for two large men plus winter gear.

CB
 Siward 08 May 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

Whatever happened to Phoenix tents? Classic British made designs, outer first pitching a priority.

(Answer- they're sitting in my loft and still get outings now and again)
 d_b 08 May 2017
In reply to Siward:
They ended up being bought by Vango, and their descendants are available under the "F10" brand.

http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/221-f10-tents
Post edited at 12:06
 Toerag 08 May 2017

Vango Halo series?
 Andypeak 08 May 2017

Simond (decathlon) do a mountaineering one which looks pretty nice. It's about 3kg once you get rid of the bag. Also have a look at husky tents. Never used either but have seen the Simond one in the flesh.
OP climber david 10 May 2017
Thanks Folks. I like the look of a couple of vango's and also the terra nova helm 3. Anyone use the terra nova and got any opinions on it?

Cheers

David
Rigid Raider 10 May 2017

Don't buy a new tent; place a Wanted ad on here as I did and you'll be astonished at the variety of offers you receive from some very generous people.
 ChrisH89 10 May 2017

Tarptent Scarp2 if you can find one second hand (expensive to import). I have the Scarp1 and it's very roomy for one person, with enough space for two people so I imagine the Scarp2 is similar for 2/3 people. Loads of kit storage in two porches. It's freestanding if the optional crossing poles are used, can be left at home if not needed to save weight. Pitches as one, so no wet inner in the rain. Very light (Scarp1 is about 1.3kg without the extra poles). Thoroughly recommend, the only issue is the cost of new because of the import tax and shipping from the US.
 thlcr1 10 May 2017
In reply to RhysRolfe:

> The vango nemesis 300 is geodesic and outer pitch first. its very large for two people, I haven't used it with 3 people yet but I think it would be comfortable. It's 4.28 kg which is ok split between two people but you could get the two man version for a slight weight saveing (around 700g I think). It's available online around £175.

I've got the 2 man Nemisis 200. Love it, no complaints at all. I find it super roomy for one and OK but a bit tight for two with all the gear. Would think the bigger 300 would be spot on for the OP.

Lee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...