Astonishing 'war' photo - posthumous Pullitzer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deepsoup 03 May 2017
This is an absolutely amazing photo, sadly the photographer's last as it's a picture of the explosion that killed her, another military photographer and two other soldiers:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hilda-clayton-combat-photo_us_5908baf8e...
 krikoman 03 May 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

Blimey
 jkarran 03 May 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

I'm not sure what we gain by it, it just seems ghoulish to me.
jk
 Phil79 03 May 2017
In reply to jkarran:

> I'm not sure what we gain by it, it just seems ghoulish to me.

It illustrates the futility of conflict?

Although, you'd think most of humanity might have realised that by now.
 Timmd 03 May 2017
In reply to jkarran:
> I'm not sure what we gain by it, it just seems ghoulish to me.jk

I guess that's subjective. Some kids at school brought in a video, and it turned out to be footage of a guy being electrocuted on an electric chair, with cheery music over the top. Where the video was 'entertainment', the pictures in the link might make people stop and think - perhaps?
Post edited at 14:51
 JayPee630 03 May 2017
In reply to Phil79:

I kind of take the point but actually it was a training accident.
 Timmd 03 May 2017
In reply to JayPee630:
It still brought home to me the other end of being fired at, though, in meeting an explosive death.

Post edited at 14:58
In reply to deepsoup:

Not so much a stunning picture, as the Huff Post has it, but a tragic one.

T.
 Phil79 03 May 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

> I kind of take the point but actually it was a training accident.

I know. Which makes it even more futile AFAIC!
OP deepsoup 03 May 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
> Not so much a stunning picture, as the Huff Post has it, but a tragic one.

It is certainly tragic. I don't think the two things are necessarily mutually exclusive, I think it's both tragic and stunning. It's certainly very affecting, in a way that some very famous photos are. The naked girl in the napalm attack in Vietnam springs to mind.

As for it being ghoulish, I don't think so personally. If we're going to continue with the business of killing each other I think it should be photographed, filmed, reported. It is all too easy to forget, with drone strikes and the like particularly, that the purpose of all that whizz bang exciting technology is to maim and kill human beings.

I'm not entirely convinced by the argument that this is just 'a training accident' either. The tragic deaths on the Brecon Beacons back in 2013 and again last year were training accidents, whilst not a part of an actual battle this live firing exercise was something immediately necessitated by the ongoing conflict and as far as I'm concerned those four soldiers were just as much victims of that conflict as if they'd been killed by 'enemy action'.
 DerwentDiluted 03 May 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

Robert Capa, Larry Burrows, Ernie Pyle, Tim Hetherington, the list keeps growing. People trying to tell us that war is our species at its worst. Time we listened really.
 wercat 03 May 2017
In reply to Phil79:

it would be far more futile to have nice safe ministry of safety dry-firing training only and then have everyone killed the first time there is any shooting. The futility would be in making the training safe. Making training realistic and more dangerous is reckoned to save far more lives
 Stichtplate 03 May 2017
In reply to DerwentDiluted:
> Robert Capa, Larry Burrows, Ernie Pyle, Tim Hetherington, the list keeps growing. People trying to tell us that war is our species at its worst. Time we listened really.

Wars can have multiple identities depending on whose facts/propaganda you're being fed.
Invading nations, killing and subjugating people.. yes, our species at its worst. Defending nations and risking lives to protect people can be examples of our species at its best.
Post edited at 20:01
 Ridge 03 May 2017
In reply to Stichtplate:

Indeed. Take landmines. Evil, unconscionable, and as despicable as Princess Di said.

Unless your village is about to be overrun by IS, the Lord's Resistance Army or any other random collection of batshit mental murderers and torturers. At which point I'd happily be burying bounding fragmentation mines in my cabbage patch.
 Mick Ward 03 May 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

> ...whilst not a part of an actual battle this live firing exercise was something immediately necessitated by the ongoing conflict and as far as I'm concerned those four soldiers were just as much victims of that conflict as if they'd been killed by 'enemy action'.

Agree. A sad loss of probably very fine people.

Mick
Removed User 04 May 2017
In reply to Ridge:

> Unless your village is about to be overrun by IS, the Lord's Resistance Army or any other random collection of batshit mental murderers and torturers. At which point I'd happily be burying bounding fragmentation mines in my cabbage patch.

A fair enough point, but it's rarely such villagers who have the funds, or connections, to obtain landmines. And presumably they're of limited use against batshit mental murderers and torturers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...