Walking Axe for the Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Xharlie 03 May 2017
For the last two years, I've been borrowing absolutely massive and ancient walking axes from the DAV for the cheap price of €3.00 per day but I finally think it's time to treat myself to one of my very own. The summer is about to start and, with it, trips to the mountains for walking rather than skiing.

I'm about 1.64 metres high. The tool would be used for safety on glaciers and steeper snow slopes. Which tool would you recommend?

I have a liking for DMM kit but I'm not completely inflexible. Weight would be a concern (those blue DAV things weigh a lot compared to the ones my friends typically carry).
In reply to Xharlie:

Nothing wrong with the DMM Cirque. Yes it's a bit heavier than some, but it's also reassuringly burly.
OP Xharlie 03 May 2017
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Er... "nothing wrong" with it is hardly a recommendation? I assume you're just being dry.

Would you put it somewhere closer to the "bee's knees" or the "dog's bollocks" ends of the scale?
 BruceM 03 May 2017
In reply to Xharlie:
Petzl summit (std, not Evo model, heavier). Brilliant modern lightweight axe. My go-to alps axe.
cb294 03 May 2017
In reply to BruceM:

+1, I just bought one for my daughter. Better than my own Grivel Airtech Evo (especially the grip section, with aluminium grooves instead of plastic coating).

CB
 Hat Dude 03 May 2017
In reply to Xharlie:

Worth having a look at the Climbing Technology Alpin Tour

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3300

or one of the Singing Rock axes.

Quite a bit cheaper than DMM or Grivel
 Smythson 03 May 2017
In reply to Xharlie:

Petzl Sumtec - can climb too.
mysterion 03 May 2017
In reply to Xharlie:
Climbing Technology Alpin Tour Pro, short for high traversing and T rated just in case
Post edited at 13:02
 Lucy Wallace 03 May 2017
In reply to Xharlie:

The Petzl Summit is awesome, if it's just alpine stuff that you plan on doing, as it's light and feels lovely in the hand. I adore mine and its my go-to axe on walking rather than mountaineering type terrain.
If you only buy one axe though, and plan to do a bit of UK winter stuff too then my recommendation would be the DMM Cirque. The pick and shaft are both T rated ("technical" as opposed to B for "basic") so suitable for belays and a bit of abuse. It also has from my experience (I've tried a few, inc all mentioned above) the most efficient adze of the axes currently on the market so best for digging and cutting steps.
OP Xharlie 03 May 2017
In reply to Snoweider:

Wow. Good feedback.

I'm going to have to do my own research as well, of course, but does anyone have anything to say specifically in head-to-head competition between the Petzl Summit and DMM's Cirque?

I'm not in this for low cost, BTW. For stuff I intend to buy once, look after and use until worn-properly-out (at which point I will consider my job well done and be chuffed to have to replace it), I don't mind paying a premium. I am a huge fan of Singing Rock because they open climbing up to a lower-end of the market but, personally, I find that their stuff could be thought through a wee bit better -- like there's always some minor improvement that surely wouldn't cost the earth and could make it ten times nicer.
In reply to Xharlie:

It's a great axe! I mean, any axe with the right ratings will do the job, it just depends what fits your hands/budget.

As with all things it depends what your priority is. The Cirque is very beefy for a walking axe so if it's used more for walking than climbing it may be overkill as there's lots of lighter tools. But if you want something strong, suitable for belays, with a good thunk into ice/neve you can't go wrong with the Cirque. It's British made too so that's a plus
 ChrisH89 03 May 2017
In reply to Xharlie:

Rather than the DMM Cirque, I'd go for the Raptor. It's way more comfortable in the hand for long days in the mountains (I don't really like the Cirque at all as I find it uncomfortable to hold), as well as having a replaceable pick that means it should last pretty much forever as you can just replace the pick if it happens to get overly worn out. You can also switch the pick for the Fly pick if you want to do something a bit more "climby" with it. Might be a little heavier but I like a bit of heft to an axe for when it needs to be swung into ice. It's what I use, would definitely recommend.

I'm also a fan of Singing Rock (I use the Bandits as my technical tools) but never used their other axes.
 rif 03 May 2017
In reply to Xharlie:

Useful comparative review here, though it doesn't include models from DMM:
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/snow-sports/best-ice-axe
 mattdennies 06 May 2017
In reply to Xharlie:

+1 for Petzl Summit. Amazing alpine axe, so light and comfortable to hold, shaped nicely for easy steeper stuff too.
If you're the Alps you want to go light, so don't mess around with a heavy DMM axe, especially when you're having to carry that extra weight in your hand all day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...