Travel with a liquid fuel stove on Singapore Airlines

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
TheSkipper 26 Apr 2017
I found this site useful when researching my trip to the Philippines and wanted to return the favour with an up to date example of what was allowed to be carried on a Singapore Airlines flight in checked baggage and the process involved to do so.

There are several older posts about liquid fuel camping stoves carried under IATA regulation 2.3.2.5 Camping Stoves and Fuel Containers that have Contained a Flammable Liquid Fuel, Operator Variations: LX-04, MA-05, PR_03, SN-01, SV-11

The stove in question was an Optimus Polaris with pump and fuel bottle.

A few weeks before my travel date, I used the contact link on the SIA website to email them using the text below:
(I wanted to check whether Singapore Airlines permit a camping stove in checked baggage under IATA regulation 2.3.2.5 Camping Stoves and Fuel Containers that have Contained a Flammable Liquid Fuel, Operator Variations: LX-04, MA-05, PR_03, SN-01, SV-11 The text below from the regulation indicates that it is allowed with permission of the operator and defines the steps required to clean the stove. If allowed by Singapore Airlines, how do I declare this for my flights under booking reference XXXXXX Text from the regulation pasted below "With the approval of the operator, as checked baggage only, camping stoves and fuel containers for camping stoves that have contained a flammable liquid fuel may be carried provided the fuel tank of the camping stove, and/or fuel container has been completely drained of all liquid fuel and action has been taken to nullify the danger. To nullify the danger, the empty fuel tank and/or container must be allowed to drain for at least one hour, the fuel tank and/or container must then be left uncapped for a minimum of 6 hours to allow any residual fuel to evaporate. Alternative methods, such as adding cooking oil to the fuel tank and/or container to elevate the flash point of any residual liquid above the flash point of flammable liquid and then emptying the fuel tank and/or container, are equally acceptable. The fuel tank and/or container must then be wrapped in an absorbent material such as paper towel and placed in a polythene or equivalent bag. The top of the bag must then be sealed or gathered and closed with an elastic band or twine. Note: Provided the above cleaning method is followed in accordance with these regulations, the fuel stove or container can be classified as non-hazardous. However to control the carriage of these items, they are listed in Table 2.3.A Provisions for Dangerous Goods Carried by Passengers of Crew.")

The response was bounced around a bit, but eventually got to the head office which replied as follows
(Dear Mr. XXXXXX,
Thank you for your e-mail.
Please be informed that we have checked with our relevant department and you are allowed to carry as per regulation you mention in your email and need to notify to our check in staff at the airport.
We hope above information resolves your query.
Thank you for choosing Singapore Airlines.
Yours sincerely,
Amanpreet.S
SIA UK)

So far so good. I gave the stove/bottle/pump a good clean following the instructions, then let it air on a sunny windowsill for a few days rather than just the minimum 6 hours. I then put the bottle/pump in one zip lock bag (large one from Ikea) and the stove in another. I put a printed copy of the email trail into both bags.

At Heathrow, on enquiring about how to declare a 'restricted item' I was directed to the 'check in assistance queue' on the far left of the SIA check in area. Once at the front of the queue I showed a copy of the email trail and the assistant referred it to the SIA security officer on duty in that area. He then referred it to the security manager. There was about a 15 minute wait and then the manager requested that the security officer inspect the stove, which he did and agreed that there was no detectable fuel residue. After another discussion with his manager, he photographed the stove and agreed it could be carried as a 'restricted item' listed on the manifest. There was a fair bit of delay, but even though the staff were not familiar with the rule, they were professional and to the time to sort it out.

I was a little concerned about the return trip from Manila, but it followed the same pattern as at Heathrow. Initially the staff were unfamiliar with the rule, but referred it up which resulted in an inspection and photographs and the stove being cleared for travel.

Aside from the initial preparation of getting it pre-approved with the carrier and having a copy of the email trail for this approval, the key seems to be to start off stating that you have a 'restricted item' that has to be listed on the manifest and then when they ask for details show the IATA regulation. Also, plane for at least 30 minutes delay while you get things sorted out.

Obviously, this is just one experience with one airline and two specific ariports, but it does show that the regulation is current in 2017 and it is possible to carry a used stove under these rules. It is worth noting that while SIA are OK with stoves, some airports have their own restrictions which impose a blanket ban. LHR and MNL were OK, but there are posts indicating the Liverpool (LPL) is one with a blanket ban on all stoves.

The real irony, is that for the actual expedition, I ended up using the stove on butane only with a 'long can' adapter. I could have taken my much lighter gas-only stove, rather than the heavy multi-fuel one. The long cans used for domestic table top stoves are readily available in the Philippines. I got mine from a branch of Ace Hardware. I never did get any Paraffin (kerosene) despite being told it was available. The street sellers that prepare roasted nuts seem to use it based on the smell from their carts, so it should not be that hard to find.
 beckycoles 26 Apr 2017
In reply to TheSkipper:

Wow, that's thorough. I've always cleaned, aired and then buried in the middle of the bag with all the parts separate and the lid off the bottle. Never had a problem.
 Brown 26 Apr 2017
In reply to beckycoles:

Likewise, I have always cleaned it and then well aired it by taking it all apart and then put it all separately in my luggage with the lid off the bottle.
 Pedro 30 Apr 2017
In reply to TheSkipper:

Full respect ! I've always cleaned and dried my stove then sprayed the inside with perfume, and left the top off. I admire your dedcation.

P.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...