outdoor shampoo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi,

I was wondering what do you use to wash your hair when wild-camping / van-living?

I have a very sensitive scalp, and in 3 days without washing, it can get very bad. I tried to wash my hair less, use alternative stuff which have nothing to do with soap, Alep soap, Marsilia soap, biodegradable soaps but none of them leave my scalp clean enough to avoid troubles.

Do you know any proper shampoo which is environment friendly to the point that you can use it outdoors ?

Thanks !
 Jenny Dart 26 Apr 2017
In reply to Cecilewannaclimb:

It's probably as unenvironmentally and un-sensitive-skin friendly as you can get, but spray in dry shampoo is how I get by on trips/working...
 Timmd 26 Apr 2017

Something from these people might do?

https://www.faithinnature.co.uk/shampoo

Oliver Houston 26 Apr 2017

Have you tried the LUSH bars? I think they're biodegradable, compostable packaging etc.
My wife gets a sensitive scalp and uses them as her everyday shampoo now. When wild camping we've used it for everything, soap, shampoo, dishes...
MarkJH 27 Apr 2017
> Do you know any proper shampoo which is environment friendly to the point that you can use it outdoors ?Thanks !

What are the specific environmental concerns that you have about using shampoo in the outdoors? i.e. what are the chemicals that you are worried about, and what is the effect that they have in the kind of quantities that you are thinking of using?

Keep in mind that environmental mitigation might include changing how you use the products rather than the products themselves (where you dispose of the product, how diluted the waste water is etc). However, this requires that you know exactly what it is that you are trying to avoid.
Post edited at 12:20
 Dave B 27 Apr 2017
In reply to Oliver Houston:

I use lush shampoo bars in one of their little tins. hint: put a small piece of non-stick pan scrubber scrubby part underneath the soap to stop it sticking to the tin.

https://uk.lush.com/article/dont-stress-about-sls
Rigid Raider 27 Apr 2017

Washing your hair with any kind of soap will dry your scalp and make it itch like hell.

All shampoo is environmentally friendly; if you had any idea of the legislative hoops the manufacture has jumped through you would pocket the shampoo and walk away from your polluting van in disgust.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...