Folding camping bed vs air bed for car camping comfort

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 26 Apr 2017
I'll be going camping soon in the lakes with my gf, her first time camping... I'd like to make it as comfortable for her as possible so she might want to do it again.

I normally sleep on a rather thin self-inflating mat - this won't do for her!

I've looked at a load of air beds and nearly all of them have quite terrible reviews that say they deflate. I've seen some very well reviewed (and cheap) Hi-Gear folding camping beds at Go Outdoors, was thinking of matching one of them with a cheap self-inflating mat, bed sheets and a duvet, pillow and hot water bottle!

Anyone have any experience of folding beds vs. air beds they could share? Also why would anyone going car camping bother taking a sleeping bad and not normal bed sheets/duvets etc.? Is there something about damp that means it's not viable?

Any other camping comfort tips are most welcome!

Thanks all.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Apr 2017
In reply to elliot.baker:

From my experience camp beds are crap - unstable and uncomfortable. Airbeds can be OK but the are inclined to be cold.

I have used one of the thicker thermarests (camp-rest?) - slightly under-inflated, comfy and warm,

Chris

A simple 'li-lo' type airbed is likely to be cold (air circulating within the bed allows heat to escape to the ground). You can stick a simple foam mat underneath to improve insulation. I find this type of bed rather 'wallowy'.

Uninsulated tube airbeds are less wallowy.

Insulation-filled, tube-type airbeds are better for warmth, but best blown up with a pump (else they accumulate moisture from your breath). How hard or softly they are inflated makes a big difference to comfort, as does the width; a wide bed that doesn't make your arms fall off the side is better.

I've not slept on a framed camp bed, but it does separate you from the cold ground, so should be expected to be warmer.

I recently bought the world's largest self-inflating mattress, a Vango Confort 10 Grande, which is 10cm thick. With the level of inflation tuned correctly, it's about as comfortable as my bed at home. The single mattress weighs 3.9kg, and is huge... You can get a double.

http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/outdoor-essentials/530-comfort-10-grande.html
 LastBoyScout 26 Apr 2017
My wife is not the greatest fan of camping and certainly wouldn't be happy with my ThermaRest ProLite - probably get on well with your g/f!

So I bought a Vango Comfort 5 double, which is very comfortable and can be got online for much less than the current £80 rrp. In fact, we now have 2, as I picked up a 2nd one on eBay for a bargain price for the kids - I just need to stop the 3-year old using it as a trampoline.

They are, however, a bit of a struggle to get back in the bag compared to the ProLite. They also do a 7.5cm version and a 10cm one, which must be a beast to re-pack and will probably take up 1/2 the car.

GoOutdoors have an Outwell 5cm double one on sale for £35 at the moment, which, in my opinion, would be a far better option than camp beds.

I've never taken normal bed sheets or duvets, but I know people that have taken a duvet on top of a thin sleeping bag. Thermarest, for 1, do dedicated sheets to slip on their mats - I'm sure they'd fit others.

My wife was none too impressed that I bought her this bag for Christmas one year, but has used it and finds it very warm, it even has fleece lined toes - http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/vango-womens-stratos-250-sleeping-bag-d22321...
I have given serious thought to getting a double sleeping bag - we'll see how much we get out camping.

Good call on the hot water bottle. Dressing gown useful for trips to wash blocks. Take the biggest tent you have - girls like lots of space and headroom.

Be prepared to upgrade her if the weather's grim - my first attempted camping trip with my then new-ish girlfriend (now wife) ended up in a B&B for 2 nights due to high winds and rain!
Post edited at 13:00
 ripper 26 Apr 2017

I've slept pretty well on a GO folding camp bed in my loft, but never taken one camping. When I've camped with Mrs R we've usually taken a big airbed, and deflation has only ever been a problem after several nights. Be aware though that on a double airbed, if one of you is a restless sleeper the other one will be jiggled up and down by the moving air with every toss and turn - two singles is probably a better bet.
Having said that I agree with Chris that the thickest 'basecamp' style self-inflating mats are probably just as comfortable, if not more so, and certainly warmer.
Same thing with bags over sheets/duvet. Bags are warmer as the air is held inside, although cotton sheets/duvet probably more comfy if you're going somewhere hot.
OP elliot.baker 26 Apr 2017
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Captain Paranoia you've been bested! There is now a Comfort 12... at least 2 more comfortable than a 10 I imagine!

LastBoy..re: Tent size... I've tried to persuade her that there really is enough room for two in my Vango Banshee 200 but she's not having it! She'll be sharing a family tent with a friend! I'll have a gander at that outwell double.

I'm surprised no one has anything good to say about camp beds on go outdoors their Hi Gear ones have nothing but 5* reviews.
 ripper 26 Apr 2017

put a campbed in a vango banshee and you might find your face is uncomfortably close to the ceiling!

I've just remembered though there used to be a chap in our club who came on weekend trips with a folding bed, on top of which he put a thermarest, with an airbed on top of that. He always said he was superbly comfortable (but his Merc estate was always pretty much full with just his own kit for a weekend)
 LastBoyScout 26 Apr 2017

Here you go: eBay item 201618948024

Def won't fit in your Banshee, though - you'll need at least a 3-man tent.

Loads of other on there from people that tried camping and didn't like it, or whatever.

We still have a couple of ancient canvas camp beds that my Dad used to use loads on Scout camps, but haven't been used since the invention of the air bed. He's just upgraded to an Outwell Dreamcatcher 5cm from a really cheap thin thing and my Mum has had a big Thermarest for years.
 Trangia 26 Apr 2017

I used one of these on a recent safari camping trip in Zimbabwe

https://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/product/natural-instincts-aluminium-stre...

It was incredibly comfortable and nice and robust. I'm not certain if they will post it to the UK but may be worth enquiring?
 Andy Say 26 Apr 2017
Most folding camp beds, in my experience, tend to be a bit of a weight/sturdiness/stability compromise.

I've got one of these - http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3916146?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59157|cid:1998... - in the back of my van and have been warm and comfortable at -17.

And using normal sheets, duvet and pillows!
Post edited at 15:57

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...