Pexhill Access Issues

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mark hounslea 25 Apr 2017
Myself and Pete Trewin had a meeting last night with United Utilities, the police and the local parish council to attemp to resolve some issues.

A plan has been put in place to lesson the impact of the annual school leaving/ rave/ party which often results in enormous amounts of litter and broken bottles etc.

United Utilities ( the owners of Pexhill) remain concerned over liability issues. They don't wish to 'promote' climbing at Pexhill but understand it's importance to local climbers. Their primary concern is climbers belaying to railings. It would really help our relationship with them if we could adhere to the agreed access arrangement (don't belay to the arrangements). We are going to look at the viability of placing fixed anchors back from the edge of some popular routes so that climbers can rig ropes with a knot over the edge as some are presently doing from the railings in order to set up top ropes.
In reply to mark hounslea:

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the update. It may be worth letting the BMC know so they can update the RAD, that way it'll appear in a more prominent position within the UKC crag page too.

Hope that's of help.
OP mark hounslea 25 Apr 2017
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Cheers Rob; have already kept them involved
 lancsmike 29 Apr 2017
In reply to mark hounslea:

Thanks for the update Mark, my climbing partner of many years and I have been regular users and cleaners of this quarry for some time and we have met and cleaned up lots of rubbish, glass and all sorts of things at the quarry over last few years at the start of summer. As Pete will have said due to the certain morons flinging objects and partying/smashing glass to the walls it hasn't been easy. Last summer was very bad and the three of us in particular have gathered many a black bag of dangerous glass etc. We appreciated the support of St. Helens M.C ; Will & Chris,
Mike Stretford and others. Many of us are doing something, we intend to take care, be friends of Pex and be vigilant.
Some sort of anchors would be positive to avoid the tops. Thanks again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...