tentipi advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 simon1985 19 Apr 2017
Hi, we're thinking of getting a tentipi safir 7 with a log burner now we have a baby on the way. Has anyone got one? What are your thoughts do you think there worth it and what are they like to dry?

Cheers

Simon
 toad 19 Apr 2017
In reply to simon1985:

Absolutely love mine. you've nailed the biggest problem - that they are a pig to get dry if you are packing up in the wet, But I hang mine over the washing line and it dries out fine. The wood burner makes a real difference if you are camping in the wet - everything about tentipi is a bit rich, but the drying rail is also worth it with the stove. it makes cold and wet camping actually enjoyable! the lack of a porch is an issue, but rather than the gold plated tentipi porch, I've got a cheap blacks tarp, which does just as well. The groundsheet is worth the money (ish) though

I've got a little tent for back packing, but I reckon my tentipi is much better than a bog standard family tunnel tent unless you want separate bedrooms. And the log burner glows a gentle cherry red in the dark. You'll also notice it's much quieter and more stable in the wind..

OP simon1985 19 Apr 2017
In reply to toad:

Thanks that's really helpful. Where did you get yours from - they don't seem be sold many places. Do you have the inner and Which groundsheets do you have the comfort or pro?
 Billhook 20 Apr 2017
In reply to simon1985:

For further info from other users of similar tents you could go to the Song of the Paddle forum. They've had numerous and long posts about a wide variety of similar tents. Generally they all get a good press.

Me? I succumbed to old age and bought a caravan.
 Siward 20 Apr 2017
In reply to simon1985:

Excellent things.

I picked up a nylon one on ebay which, obviously, is as quick to dry as any tent. The canvas/polycotton ones are likely more robust though.

As toad says, their cosiness is their strength, evn if one doesn't invest in the proper stove:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13818533@N04/2400056673/in/dateposted-public/
 toad 20 Apr 2017
In reply to simon1985:
Bought mine from Taunton leisure- they had a tent show just off the m5 and we were going past. They were very helpful. If I was buying now, I'd probably get it from pro adventure in Llangollen, as it's my current favourite outdoor shop. I didn't bother with an inner, they are pretty midge proof, but a groundsheet is definitely worth it.

Thinking about it, proadventure have tentipi gathering weekends with tentipi cultists, where you can hire one and try it for a weekend. I've had a look and they've got one in a fortnight near Corwen. Might go myself

If you can find it, have a look at the blog of Tim Gent. He does a lot of canoe camping with tentipi stuff, but I think he might be sponsored. By them

Wainers44 20 Apr 2017
In reply to simon1985:

We bought 4 Soulpad tents for the Scout Group last year. Fantastic tents. Really robust and ignore the "sleeps 6" etc as they are huge. Have a look before you buy as you may be able to get a "smaller" one and save some dosh. We bought the 4 person and they easily sleep 6.

If you look at the pictures of these they have a low vertical side to the tent and also a slightly peaked bit over the door. These features make the space inside far more useable and if you get a bit of rain none gets into the tent due to the shape of the door. We are buying another couple this year after a winter of fundraising!
In reply to toad:
What's the advantage over a standard canvas bell tent, as tentipis are a lot more money?
Post edited at 10:31
 John R 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:
Yes, we looked at Tentipi a couple of years ago and were very impressed b the quality. But we then compared them with a near equivalent bell tent and in the end went down that route. Two main things persuaded us. One was that we got the whole tent, inner and zip-in groundsheet for about a third of the cost of the nearest equivalent Tentipi. The other was that the usable space in the bell tent for the same floor area is massively greater because of the wall; you don't end up hugging the pole all the time. Daughter bought a Tentipi around the same time, but very quickly sold it and bought a bell tent. Both of us are very happy with our choice, and it has stood up to plenty of rough and windy weather. Still use a Hilleberg when it really matters, but for civilised camp-site camping the bell tent has proved a great buy. And, yes, you can still set it up with a wood burner if you want. John.
 artif 20 Apr 2017
In reply to simon1985:

Look out for an ex military 10 man arctic tent. I picked one up for a couple of hundred quid, practically unused.
Great tent, very robust and quick to put up, use a 3x4m tarp for a porch/ cooking area.
 planetmarshall 20 Apr 2017
In reply to toad:

> Thinking about it, proadventure have tentipi gathering weekends with tentipi cultists...

Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
 toad 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:
Worth the price difference, objectively? I'm not sure, but it has a much better feel, build quality etc over the bell tents I looked at. It's also a lot lighter, which whilst I'm never going to back pack with, makes a difference even over a longish walk across a camp site and makes it just about practical to fly wth if you're hiring a car. It feels very stable in bad weather and has sensible guying, pegging etc. Never had a problem with leaking and I like the venting when it's warmer

It is a bit gold plated, I guess, but I really like it.
 proadventure 21 Apr 2017
In reply to simon1985:

Thanks to Toad.

We have a Tentipi camp coming up in early May and have some tents available for hire still. Or you could give us a call and come to Llangollen for a demo. I could also drop you a brochure in the post.

Pete
ProAdventure
01978 860605 (9-5)
https://www.proadventure.co.uk/acatalog/The-Tentipi-Camp.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...