Wild Country Revo belay device??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
There was quite a lot of activity around launching the Revo device, and I think WC might have got some kind of outdoor award for it. Since then, nothing. Someone in the trade tells me that the device has been withdrawn permanently and won't be retailed.
Does anyone know anything about this? Just interested as it looked intriguing from an engineering point of view. However I couldn't work out how it was going to operate when working routes.
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

I have used one and they're ace. Was a demo model so might be different when completed! I'm digging for info as we speak. Keep you updated ????
 John Kelly 19 Apr 2017

Gutted I need one

It's still in the pipeline, ETA end of this year.
 Dell 19 Apr 2017

It will probably go the way of the DMM Grip.
In reply to Dell:

> It will probably go the way of the DMM Grip.

I thought it looked ok for paying out and catching lobs. However, on of the great things about the grigri is its ability to easily lock of for working routes. I couldn't see any facility for this so was guessing it might not be a good idea.
 daWalt 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Dell:

> It will probably go the way of the DMM Grip.

coming to a museum nowhere near you soon: https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/shortcuts/2017/apr/19/museum-failu...

Not meaning to bang on but it is decent and i only used a prototype model! It does lock well.
 Greasy Prusiks 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Dell:

IIRC the grip was binned because whilst it worked, it didn't pass DMM longevity tests. I can't imagine the Revo is unsafe because there's so many demo models so perhaps it is a longevity issue? All speculation though really.

I hope the revo doesn't fade away, I'd quite like to try one.
 RR 21 Apr 2017
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Could the Revo be an alternative replacement for my Silent partner over time?
In reply to RR:

By silent partner do you mean nobody??
 Dell 21 Apr 2017

> By silent partner do you mean nobody??

*Insert Helen Keller joke here*
 snoop6060 21 Apr 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

I'd imagine its more to do with getting it made in volume on price and up to the same standard as the samples/demos. Supply chain issues or whatever. Possibly exchange rate has had an affect as well. £80 it will sell, £150 probably not. Looks proper good though.
 RR 22 Apr 2017

It is an auto blocker device so you can climb alone and as well an anti-snoring sleep mask for my girl friend when she is belaying.
 MischaHY 22 Apr 2017

It's been delayed again for an October release date - I suspect because of either supply chain or for cleaning up small problems prior to release. Personally I think it's much better to get it right rather than push it out quickly and then have another recall on their hands.
I'm also very curious about applicability for rope soloing. Strictly speaking it looks like it should work really well as there is plenty of video of it catching falls without any hands on the rope.
Only time will tell!
 Greasy Prusiks 22 Apr 2017
In reply to snoop6060:
That sounds the most likely to me. Always reassuring to see a company take their time though.

Agreed. I'm not really into assisted locking devices but this one looks interesting.
Post edited at 18:55

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...