I'd welcome some constructive advice on two Youtube movies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 18 Apr 2017

I've created two little youtubes over the weekend, which are non-climbing related.

I'd appreciate constructive critique on how I can improve in any way to make my movies more interesting to watch.

I've kept the videos short as I've discovered that people don't want to spend more than a couple of minutes watching home-made movies.

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuvWYuTHylg&t=1s

youtube.com/watch?v=nmARRJ2aYVk&
Post edited at 13:44
 Mark Collins 18 Apr 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Probably best to say that I do home movies at the mo and have an ambition to go further but nothing to show for it as yet.

I've only watched the first of your films.

Voices a little drowned out by soundtrack throughout.

At 0:38 there is a screen saying "Only two days ago things were very different" and then a scene showing the then conditions. Only problem is that we haven't had a scene showing the now conditions to compare at that point. In my view there should be a scene before, showing an appropriately inflated windsock or similar.

Overall I'd be very pleased if I produced this. All depends where you are on the scale of things I guess. How much you want to do versus resources available. I don't want to create another drone debate but feel that the use of one in most outdoors related films, can improve the output by an order of magnitude. I guess you'd wanna be pretty confident before you took it over water though
 subtle 18 Apr 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

> I've created two little youtubes over the weekend, which are non-climbing related.
I'd appreciate constructive critique on how I can improve in any way to make my movies more interesting to watch.

Surely just send them to BlueStraggler for his vaunted opinion of them?
OP The Lemming 18 Apr 2017
In reply to Mark Collins:

That's a very good point. I will have another go at trying to get across the varying weather rather than my clumsy attempt so far.

Cheers
 rallymania 18 Apr 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
remind me... what do you edit in again? is it premier elements?
Post edited at 15:01
In reply to rallymania:

> remind me... what do you edit in again? is it premier elements?

Sure is.

I'm still learning how to use it. I shall have a play with sharpening next to see if that makes a visual improvement.
Rigid Raider 18 Apr 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Very good; I hope my first cycling videos are as good. I like your composition, you have a good eye for a balanced shot although you could do with giving moving subjects more space in front of them.
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> although you could do with giving moving subjects more space in front of them.

I know what you mean, and I had a little leeway to play with. Apart from the slow-mo shot, everything was filmed in 4K. The project was shrunk to 1080p giving me options to crop, re-straighten scenes and zoom in on subjects. This allowed me to cheat a little with my limited vieving angle of just a couple of locations.

Next time, I will give moving subjects more room to breath.

Cheers

ActionSte 18 Apr 2017
In reply to The Lemming:
The main thing i noticed was the audio balances. Fade and drop the music a little/all together people are speaking and try not to have too much going on at once - Background audio, radio & music got a little much when all on together. It was also hard to pick up what the woman was saying, and the importance of it to your story, with the vocals on the music being so high in the mix while she was speaking.

Nicely shot though. I thoroughly enjoy editing video but am far too shy to post anything for critique on UKC
 richprideaux 18 Apr 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

What codec/file format are you exporting?
In reply to richprideaux:

> What codec/file format are you exporting?

What ever Premier Elements picks for me. The file sizes are quite big for such small files. The 4 minute movie comes in at just under 1Gb. I've downloaded and watched entire films at smaller file sizes.
 richprideaux 18 Apr 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Poor quality is likely to be compression, either at your end when exporting or when Youtube processes the file. It's a problem I had when using Premiere Elements.
In reply to The Lemming:

Thanks for the advice which I have used to update my two videos.

I'm guessing that the longer video is OK, as all the advice is for the shorter video at 2mins 50secs.

youtube.com/watch?v=kqFVV75hiS8&
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=jLokLBPn1uM

Cheers all

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...