A warning for inverted canister gas stove users

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Inverting my Primus brand gas canister blocked up my stove last weekend. It seems if your canister isn't completely brand new it can collect gunk at the bottom and then when you invert it all that stuff blocks up the tiny hole in your jet. I didn't know this was possible and wasn't prepared to service it in the field (gas stoves are simple right?). I haven't seen this written on any stove/canister manufacturer website, seems like an important thing to know especially if you were not so close to civilisation.

Anyway, be more prepared than me and know how to service your gas stove. Or just make sure your canisters are brand new.
 tjin 14 Apr 2017
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Strange, i never had such issue. Not with normal canister; new, old and scavanged ones, nor with cheap puncture canister i use with a adapter. Don't think it;s that commen.
 damowilk 14 Apr 2017
In reply to tjin:

The only inverted canister stove I have is the Jetboil Helios, it did eventually become blocked and needed to be sent to Jetboil agent for repair, they said it wasn't uncommon, but didn't specify the cause.
 JIMBO 14 Apr 2017
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Is this why the canister is not inverted fully but at a slight angle to allow 'dregs' to settle below and away from the valve?
 Timmd 17 Apr 2017
In reply to tjin:
> Strange, i never had such issue. Not with normal canister; new, old and scavanged ones, nor with cheap puncture canister i use with a adapter. Don't think it;s that commen.

From being into maintaining bikes and reading bike forums, it seems there can be 101 things which are common for other people which oneself doesn't encounter.

I find it can be handy to absorb these nuggets just in case, something happens and the brain goes 'Oh yeah, I read about that'...
Post edited at 14:33

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...