Trekking in the Romanian Carpathians

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
We're in the early stages of planning a two week trek in the Rezetat National Park in the Romanian Carpathians for summer 2018. The only English language guidebook we can find is some 12 years out of date but contains a dire warning about Romanian sheepdogs. Has anyone been to the area recently and, if so, are the dogs are as bad as the book implies?

Thanks
 sheeny 14 Apr 2017
In reply to Gentleman Antiquarian:

just back from the carpathians great mountains wildlife and cheap
sheepdogs are large and are kept lean to make them more aggressive to wolves bears etc often found wondering around towns looking for food but we found them fine no problems
 Billhook 14 Apr 2017

From personal experience, all bark and no bite. Luckily!
 Alan M 15 Apr 2017
Not been to the area you mention but based on my experience in another part of Romania. Overall, we had no trouble with the sheepdogs apart from barking but that is to be expected.

If you like to sleep, take ear plugs the dogs and there are lots of them will bark non-stop throughout the night.
Post edited at 19:43
 pavelk 15 Apr 2017

I saw few dog bites in Romania and I got one (many years ago). If it happens go to doctor imediately because rabies is widespread there. Treking poles or some stick keep them away. You can pretend stone throwing or throw it if you feel threatened. Never turn your back to them and run away.
Sheepdogs are belligerent when they are guarding the heard only
womblingfree 15 Apr 2017

I had issues with a former sheepdog promoted to hut dog, a big beast of a thing. Consider myself a dog person and made friends with it. First night I got up to use the outside loo and it was blocking the door, managed to get past no problem no drama. Dog must have reflected on that and decided it wasn't right.

From then on every time I passed the dog would be barking, snarling, trying to rush me. Basically had to front it out one or twice and shout it down, by the end of my stay i wasn't going anywhere around the hut without a walking pole to threaten it with

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...