Wind proof soft shell recommendations...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KS132 13 Apr 2017
Hi,
I would like to buy a windproof, soft shell jacket and wondered if anyone had any recommendations? It would primarily be for climbing ventures. I am not looking for something too expensive (I don't like to be too precious about my outdoor clothing or too worried about it being damaged) but equally wary of spending too little and it being false economy. Ease of movement for climbing in would be useful too. Does anyone have any experience of Decathlon's own make of softshell jackets?
Many thanks.
 RyanOsborne 13 Apr 2017
In reply to KS132:

I've used a rab sawtooth one for a while for climbing, it's well cut for moving around, no hood (which I prefer as they get in the way of slings) and the pockets aren't annoying when you're wearing a harness:

https://www.verticalgear.co.uk/rab-sawtooth-jacket-review/

galpinos 13 Apr 2017
In reply to KS132:

as it's UKC, I contradict the only other post by saying I don't class anything as a shell if it's not got a hood. Having a hood makes a big difference imho when sat two pitches up in a stiff breeze whilst your leader climbs up and down deciding whether to commit.

I have two. For something i intend to climb in I have an ME Squall. Light, stretchy, well-cut and available in eye popping colours should a celebrity climbing photographer be near by.

If I just want a jacket to clip to my harness and only pop on on the belay, I've got an Arc'teryx Squamish, the gold standard in windproofs and often available in the sale in last season's colours.
 Toerag 13 Apr 2017
In reply to KS132:

Climbing is going to trash the back and sleeves of soft-shells. The Kevlar arms on the new Berghaus thing look interesting for this reason.
 nniff 13 Apr 2017
In reply to KS132:

I've got two Decathlon softshells. The cheaper of the two has a hood and is not stretchy (bought for dog walking). the more expensive one (£45 rather than £25) doesn't have a hood (which I prefer), is wind proof, reasonably warm and has stretch. It is at least as good as its £140 predecessor. As worn in my profile pic of 'man-at-decathlon' - baselayers and thin fleece also Decathlon.

My belay jacket has the hood.
 Fraser 13 Apr 2017
In reply to RyanOsborne:

How do the Velcro cuffs stand up in use? I have a similar cuff on a Mammut jacket and they're really pretty poor on that. Other than that, I could be tempted as I really rate the Rab kit.
 RyanOsborne 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Fraser:

Mine are fine, I think they're that special velcro that doesn't hook itself onto stuff that's not the other bit of velcro. I think there was some sort of plastic thing on the back of the velcro strap that came off in the first use, but didn't change how it worked.
 alasdair19 13 Apr 2017
In reply to KS132:

Rab vapour rise is very good there are a variety of different variant s marmot made the original ad there is a arcteryx version as well.

These are pertex light pile jackets so a bit different to above recommendations. I find them more breath able.
In reply to KS132:

'Soft shell' is, of course, a very broad term...

'Windproof soft shell' is also broad. Wind resistance can be achieved by a closely-woven fabric, or windproofing by a continuous membrane. Which is it you're after?

Then there's warmth: how warm do you want this jacket to be?

I have far too many soft shells, ranging from pure, lightweight wind resistant shells (e.g. Pertex), to membraned shelled fleece. And in all flavours of warmth from no insulation to thick Polartec Thermal Pro in my Patagonia MixMaster (which, sadly, has had the laminate glue fail, and the shell and liner are no longer bonded ).

I have two Decathlon soft shells, one of which is my current favourite for general use. It's a bit like a Rab VR, except that the insulation is hexagonal blocks of flocking bonded to the face, rather than a drop liner like the VR. I have a Rab VR Flex (a review item), which is a pretty similar jacket, but I prefer the Decathlon one as it has body pockets and a hood. Unfortunately, that's all a bit academic, as it's discontinued... (was the Quechua Forclaz 900 'Soft Spread').

I also have a Quechua Forclaz 600 soft shell jacket, which is a pure wind-resistant, stretch, dual-weave fabric (i.e. no membrane, very little insulation). It's rather close fitting, and the hood has no cinching (although there's a sewn sleeve on the brim, so cinching might be added...). Body pockets are well positioned, but rather small. Arm raise is okay, but not brilliant For £28 it's not bad.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-600-m-windbreaker-blk-id_8355668.html

There's a Simond jacket with more features, but I've not seen it. It seems to have a PU membrane. At £35 it may be worth a look, especially considering Decathlon's 365-day satisfaction returns policy.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/alpinism-mens-light-softshell-grey-black-id_835...

I'm not a big fan of membraned, insulated soft shells, so I've not really looked at any of those offerings from Decathlon. My vague recollection is that the armscye design of the sleeves is a bit 'urban', i.e. closer to a standard tailor's suit block pattern than that required for active use such as climbing.
 Fraser 19 Apr 2017
In reply to KS132:

Just spotted this offering from Jottnar, which might fit the bill. Might be a bit out of your budget but it looks pretty decent:

https://www.jottnar.com/uk/mens/mid-layer-fleece/alfar/
 Pipecleaner 30 Apr 2017
In reply to KS132:

Id recommend an ME squall too. Light, stretchy, absolutely clean design...no velcro to snag or wear climbing. Its incredibly hard wearing and fairly windproof. Great hood too and i get on really well with the offset zip. It was on sale for £64 which was a bargain bit its worth the rrp if you ask me. The cut is snug tho...im pretty skinny and a small on me is neat but not restrictive. Oh yes, and they do nice colours.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...