Dog's paws on gabbro

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 10 Apr 2017

Have any of you taken dogs in the Cuillins? How do their paws cope with the gabbro? We are hoping to take the pup with us next month (obviously we are aware that our route choices will need to be carefully thought through), and I am not sure what it will do to his paws. He will have just turned one, but has been on many surfaces already and has had no problems. Our most local walks are on tarmac for quite a bit, so his paws are not soft. He has been fine in snow and ice, also no problems on other rocky walks, but I am just aware that gabbro is so much rougher.

I have found paw wax online - would that offer enough protection? I can't imagine him liking the rubber boots that you can get for them, but he would love to be part of the adveture!
Post edited at 10:00
OP girlymonkey 10 Apr 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

Bump
 Alex the Alex 10 Apr 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

We stayed in the Coruisk hut once with another family present. They had a lovely collie with them and were out two or three days in the hills. The last morning they woke up to walk out and the dog wouldnt leave the basket. Poor thing couldnt stand up its paws were so raw.. In the end the dad had to sling it over his shoulders and carry it to the ferry back to Elgol whilst the rest of the family walked out! I remember wearing through the soles of my boots myself that week. Its fierce stuff gabbro. Maybe get the dog some booties?
 BedRock 10 Apr 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

We took our 2 collies for a few days last year and despite trying to choose more dog paw friendly routes, both ours had red and sore pads after 4days. keep an eye on their pads and maybe get some boots?? Mine wont wear boots, both have owrked out how to undo the velcro and take them off...
OP girlymonkey 10 Apr 2017
In reply to BedRock:

Yep, I could imagine mine working out how to remove them! I might try to pick some up second hand and see if we can get him to keep them on.
We are only going to be there a few days, and I am guessing that at least one of those will be a wash out, it is Skye after all! Might be OK if it is not too many consecutive days?
Do you think the wax is no good?
 mark burley 10 Apr 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:
My border terriers paws hp have suffered after multi day walks in the lakes ending up raw and sometimes bleeding. This has caused the shortening of a couple of routes, despite me trying to get him to trot on the nice soft grass he insists on following me faithfully on the shale and hard paths.
He won't take to boots, but I have had Mushers wax recommended. I think it can be bought off Amazon.
 Rich W Parker 11 Apr 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

Dogs I have encountered in the Cuillin have been suffering, apart from Sarda dogs, which I presume are exposed gradually.
 Timmd 11 Apr 2017
In reply to mark burley:
> My border terriers paws hp have suffered after multi day walks in the lakes ending up raw and sometimes bleeding. This has caused the shortening of a couple of routes, despite me trying to get him to trot on the nice soft grass he insists on following me faithfully on the shale and hard paths.He won't take to boots, but I have had Mushers wax recommended. I think it can be bought off Amazon.

I hate to be the person who asks 'Why didn't you walk on the grass?' I'm sure there's a reasonable reason.
Post edited at 16:17
 Timmd 11 Apr 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:
I had a thought that gritstone probably wouldn't be very nice for a dog's paws and gabbro seems roughly as harsh.

Perhaps you could contact the search and rescue teams to find out how the get their dogs used to rock etc?
Post edited at 00:00
Andy4 12 Apr 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

Dog booties if you dog is not all ready accustomed to moving about on rock,if not the pads will blister,tear and be extremely painful.
The booties need to be worn in over time to ensure no pressure points on the dogs paws,also they seem to have a different stride when using them so best to run out on a few hilly/rocky areas first before onto the hard stuff.
They are expensive but similar to us buying a good pair of waling boots.
Ive used these on my Rottie with great success http://www.ruffwear.com/Summit-Trex-Dog-Boots
 Raskye 12 Apr 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

I asked my springer what she thought of the local gabbro.... "Ruff"

Someone had to say it, sorry

Really though, it's really harsh on paws and the dog needs time to toughen up.
OP girlymonkey 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Andy4:

Do the boots affect their dexterity and climbing abitility? Our dog climbs well, jumps and scrambles up and down all sorts of things. This seems like a skill that we wouldn't want to hamper by sticking boots on him if he doesn't need them! He has done big hill days, but none have been full days on rock. A full day on snow didn't seem to hurt the pads at all. Might try the mushers wax, and maybe get some cheap booties which we can stick on him during the walk if pads start to look like they are suffering. He's a tough wee mut, so he might be fine!
 Dark-Cloud 12 Apr 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

The boots will hinder its dexterity on steep ground, they are more designed for run/walking on harsh surfaces.

Our cocker suffered on a big day out over to Scafell from Langdale years back and also mountain biking in Grizedale due to fireroads. I felt awfu,l as is normal for dogs they don't really stop and tell you they are starting to suffer they just keep trucking on trying to keep up.
 deepsoup 13 Apr 2017
In reply to Timmd:
> I had a thought that gritstone probably wouldn't be very nice for a dog's paws and gabbro seems roughly as harsh.

Gabbro is much more abrasive than grit, and there's miles of it rather than meters.
 Timmd 13 Apr 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

I'd figured there was more than meters of it.
 Ann S 13 Apr 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

There's a clogger in Hebden Bridge -I would see if he can make you a set of 4 dog clogs. Failing that, stick to the Red Cuillin.
 Denzil 15 Apr 2017
In reply to girlymonkey: Was in the Cuillins some years back with a friend who has a SARDA dog - normally operating in a gritstone area. After a few days we were at the beach and the dog spent most of the day just stood in the cold seawater because of its sore paws due to the gabbro. Much more abrasive.

siobhan66 16 Apr 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

We have had our pup up in the Cuillins and she ended up with a cut back paw...I won't be taking her up again without booties. It's not just the problem of gabbro, sharp rock and the harsh terrain is tricky for those poochy paws. When the going got
rough and the climbing too hard she went in my rucsac, but I don't suppose that would be an option for a bigger dog!
Rigid Raider 16 Apr 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

I just wouldn't take a dog onto gabbro; it's horribly abrasive.
 Timmd 16 Apr 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> I just wouldn't take a dog onto gabbro; it's horribly abrasive.

I can remember it felt pretty rough on my hands when I climbed on it during my teens.
 SouthernSteve 16 Apr 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

I would look at RuffWear boots. We have used these on our dogs in the hills, but have never done the Cuillin with a dog and even relatively 'soft' rock like rhyolite in north wales will make a dog's paws ulcerate with water softening and a bit of running around. Dogs with very hairy feet and/or that do a lot of running on the roads do better, but wax alone will not do the trick.

www.ruffwear.co.uk
estivoautumnal 16 Apr 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

I know they are not the Cuillin but why not take the dog up the many other hills in Skye.

Beinn na Cro
Beinn na Cailliach (both)
Glamaig
Ben Aslak
Sgurr na Coinnich
Trotternish Ridge
Macleods Tables
and so on.

Bulls Crack 16 Apr 2017
In reply to Alex the Alex:

Save your boots and strap the dogs to your feet?
Rigid Raider 17 Apr 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

Put the pup in kennels with a supply of bones and squeaky toys and a couple of pretty bitches for company then come back and tell him the weather was awful and the midges a nightmare. He will love you even more.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...