Making a resuscitation model

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnV 06 Apr 2017
I want to make several resuscitation models to use on a first aid course. I've looked into hiring models from the Red Cross but it is not possible.
Using materials you might find in B and Q or similar, what could I make a model from?
Thanks in advance!
In reply to JohnV:

Blow-up dolls?
 angry pirate 06 Apr 2017
In reply to JohnV:

The British heart foundation did have inflatable ones that they were giving away to promote CPR teaching. Might be worth asking them?
 Dr.S at work 06 Apr 2017
In reply to JohnV:

Getting the feel of the resistance and recoil of the chest right is important. I've used Rugby balls partially deflated in the past for dog models, might be possible to do something similar?
 Billhook 06 Apr 2017
In reply to JohnV:
Apart from the MusicalMountaineer's excellent suggestion, I can also recommend the approach taken by a certain MR Burke & Hare. I gather their anatomical models were supplied from the local graveyard.

(I assume that the commercial makers of these are too expensive?)
Post edited at 07:17
 summo 06 Apr 2017
In reply to JohnV:
Just get some Labour party shadow cabinet members, they've been playing dead for the past 18 months.
Post edited at 07:38
 Yanis Nayu 06 Apr 2017
In reply to JohnV:

> I want to make several resuscitation models to use on a first aid course.

Are you sure that's what they're for?
 Toerag 06 Apr 2017
In reply to JohnV:

Try asking St.John's ambulance? As a qualified instructor don't you have access to Resusci Annies?
OP JohnV 06 Apr 2017
In reply to JohnV:

Partially deflated rugby balls is a great idea! Thank you!
 splat2million 06 Apr 2017
In reply to JohnV:

Although I can't comment for it's similarities to dog models, I can't imagine a deflated rugby ball will have the same recoil as an adult human chest. They're actually very springy (humans, not rugby balls). Furthermore, how can you simulate the mouth-to-mouth with a rugby ball?
I'd be a bit worried that bad CPR training is potentially worse than no-CPR training at all.
What's the course for? Sometimes it's possible to borrow from a local charity (Mountain Rescue / St John Ambulance / etc.) if you have a good cause.
OP JohnV 06 Apr 2017
In reply to splat2million:

For the school I work at in Peru... so it makes buying / renting / borrowing anything a bit tricky!
 SAF 06 Apr 2017
In reply to JohnV:

> For the school I work at in Peru...

What is the ambulance service/ Emergency Department/ ITU services in Peru?
The outcomes of pre hospital cardiac arrest (and therefore lay person CPR) are fairly diabolical in the developed world (off the top off my head i think a large scale Japanese study had a 2% survival with meaningful quality of life, seen other studies with 3-4%).
Without rapid back-up from qualified staff and facilities with suitable ongoing care it is a pointless and possibly traumatic activity for the rescuer. Maybe it would be wiser to focus on teaching first aid that could be of benefit....choking, bleeding, reducing risk of infection in wounds etc.
 Dauphin 06 Apr 2017
In reply to SAF:

Demographics are totally different in Peru than in western Europe, most the population under twenty AFAIK, definitely worth a blast even without definitive care many more % would survive than the creaking gates here.

D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...