How much do feet swell at altitude?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 05 Apr 2017
I bought two pairs of spantiks (45 and 46) with the intention of sending back the pair that didn't fit. I take a 45 in trango cubes and baturas and, having heard that the spantiks sized small, was expecting to see d back the 45s.

Turns out the 45s feel exactly the same as my baturas.

What I want to know, before I send back the 46s, is this; how much so people find their feet swell at altitude i.e. over 5000m. Projected use of these boots is Denali, Himalayas to 7000m, winter Alps and south America.
 splat2million 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Roberttaylor:

In my limited experience (a handful of trips up to about 6000m) mine don't swell much, particularly when active. Certainly much less than the difference between boot sizes, and the more significant factor is the type of socks I'm wearing.
There's a lot of variation between individuals though (consider for example how much some people's feet swell up on an aeroplane) so my experience may not be the same as yours and I've read in the past on here about some people who take the half size-up from their boot size at sea level.
 Damo 06 Apr 2017

I've always read it but never actually experienced it first-hand. You see plenty of people whose faces swell up a bit though. Given the potential for thrombosis I'd be concerned if my feet swelled up much.

But then I've never felt Spantiks size small - all my Sportiva boots are 47.
 rocksol 06 Apr 2017

Depends whether your susceptible to fluid retention or embolism Some people definitely are
 ellis 06 Apr 2017

Depends when you last changed your socks.

Oh sorry, misread that one.
 Tom Briggs 07 Apr 2017

I take a 46 in a Spantik and a 45 in pretty much everything else. Unless you're planning to climb something steep i.e. front pointing I'd err on the side of going bigger. Anecdotally I would say people's feet swelling at altitude is definitely something that happens.
 nniff 07 Apr 2017

I'd be more concerned about the volume than the size per se - you feet aren't going to get longer, but they might get fatter.
 chris687 07 Apr 2017

I never noticed any swelling of my feet at altitude (about 7000m) and I would definitely take the better fitting boots
OP Roberttaylor 07 Apr 2017

Thanks guys,

I went with the 45 in the end, I'll take them to a boot fitter and use the technique outlined on cold thistle to enlarge the inner by a half size or so.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...