Peak district bothy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DreadyCraig 05 Apr 2017
Would anyone be able to recommend a bothy somewhere in the peak district. For a group of half a dozen unfit middle aged men, so a decent walk from somewhere but not too remote.
I'm bringing whisky if it helps sway anyone sharing their secret location
 Webster 05 Apr 2017
In reply to DreadyCraig:

im pretty sure there are no bothies in the peak. or most/all of England for that mater!
Lusk 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Webster:

You're not looking hard enough!
 Hat Dude 05 Apr 2017
In reply to DreadyCraig:

There are several a bit further north than the peak

http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/region.asp?region_id=8

The only one I've stayed in was Mosedale Cottage and that is pretty remote

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=349500&y=509500&z=120&sv=M...
 Chris Sansum 05 Apr 2017
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Maybe Robin Hood's Cave at Stanage? Not sure what the rules are on staying in it, but might make a good alternative to a bothy. Also depends on how much water is in it (there was a pool last time I looked inside it).
 Webster 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> You're not looking hard enough!

based on the below

http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/region.asp?region_id=8

I would say my statement is factually accurate! a good bivy spot is not a bothy!
Bellie 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Webster:

the MBA site only lists the bothies it manages. There are others out there in addition to MBA ones.

Removed User 05 Apr 2017
In reply to DreadyCraig:

There's a passable bivy spot under Laddaw Rocks.
In reply to DreadyCraig:

The woodshed
 GrahamD 06 Apr 2017
In reply to DreadyCraig:

> Would anyone be able to recommend a bothy somewhere in the peak district. For a group of half a dozen unfit middle aged men, so a decent walk from somewhere but not too remote. I'm bringing whisky if it helps sway anyone sharing their secret location

If such a destination existed, I'm sure its already rammed to the rafters with neds from Manchester and Sheffield, all with their bottle of whisky, or equivalent.
Bellie 06 Apr 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

I know a couple in the Peak. One is a bit shabby. I've had lunch in both, but I wouldn't want to sleep there, on account of them getting a bit of traffic I reckon.

Ramblin dave 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Bellie:

> I know a couple in the Peak. One is a bit shabby. I've had lunch in both, but I wouldn't want to sleep there, on account of them getting a bit of traffic I reckon.

I'd love to know more - I feel like I've walked most of the Peak at one time or another and not seen anything I'd recognize as a bothy. I'm not expecting you to give out directions and grid references or anything, but what sort of areas are they in? Are we talking about remote huts in the middle of the moors, or dosses in barns and woodsheds in the valleys?
 GrahamD 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Ramblin dave:

I'm suspecting the latter. Clandestine use of privately owned barns rather than bothies
Bellie 06 Apr 2017
Not bothies as you would know them scottish style (with fires and bed frames) they are stone built shooting cabins., but have tables and chairs in them (most of the time). Most are marked on the map. I found them all open, and looked to be well used by folk.

All within the Ladybower area.
Post edited at 11:40
Bellie 06 Apr 2017
In reply to DreadyCraig:
There, is a nice hut up in the Northern Lakes. The Lingy Hut. Just off High Pike. Has a sleeping platform.

Post edited at 11:50
 Oliver Houston 06 Apr 2017
In reply to DreadyCraig:
As wild camping is certainly discouraged in the Peak District, there don't seem to be any obvious ones.
But as said there are some old stone barns and shooting cabins where you could put your head down for the night. They almost certainly won't have fires/beds and due to fire risks, outdoor fires aren't allowed in the dark peak.

Whether or not you will get a good night sleep is entirely at the landowner/managers discretion, if you turn up at 4, cook your tea and get drunk and loud, I'd expect to be moved on by dusk. If you turn up at dusk put your head down you might be OK. A passing farmer might move you on at dawn.

Edit: I can't recommend any specifically, I can't remember the locations/states of the ones I'm vaguely aware of. Some certainly have timber/stone roofs I would not want to sleep under.
Post edited at 12:00
Removed User 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Bellie:

> Not bothies as you would know them scottish style (with fires and bed frames) they are stone built shooting cabins., but have tables and chairs in them (most of the time). Most are marked on the map. I found them all open, and looked to be well used by folk. All within the Ladybower area.

Yes there are a few huts in that area. There use to be a tradition of using them in the 1940s and 50s. Became known locally as cabining. Some of those involved went on to found the MBA.
 rocksol 06 Apr 2017
In reply to DreadyCraig:

We sometimes did what you propose in shooting cabins From my experience of the few I've stayed in there's usually a hidden key
Nowhere else other than a snake barn ( slither in late and leave early) would fit the bill size wise for 5
Suggest a camping barn
 Billhook 06 Apr 2017
In reply to DreadyCraig:

The trouble with recommending any such 'bothy' which is not too remote is that it is likely to end up full of half a dozen unfit middled aged men. And they'll probably be pissed all evening as they'll likely be taking a bottle of whiskey.
 el diablo 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

Did he say that these middle aged men were Irish?
Lusk 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

... and with a low alcohol tolerance, if only takes one bottle to get six grown men pissed
 Wsdconst 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> You're not looking hard enough!

If you know, you know I was always told you can't give out the locations, people have to find them for themselves.
 Billhook 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Lusk:

I meant a bottle of Whiskey each!
 el diablo 07 Apr 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

Still Irish though!
 Billhook 07 Apr 2017
In reply to el diablo:

How do you mean 'Irish'? My simply is if you tell a group of self declared unfit, middle aged blokes where an easily accessable ......../.......oh, never mind.
 el diablo 07 Apr 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

I still don't see what you have against the Irish.
Bellie 07 Apr 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

Its the 'e' in whiskey (irish stuff) as opposed to whisky (scottish stuff)

Rob Naylor 07 Apr 2017

> I'd love to know more - I feel like I've walked most of the Peak at one time or another and not seen anything I'd recognize as a bothy. I'm not expecting you to give out directions and grid references or anything, but what sort of areas are they in? Are we talking about remote huts in the middle of the moors, or dosses in barns and woodsheds in the valleys?

They're in various places. I've stayed in one that's a reasonable stagger from a village pub, above the treeline but not in the middle of the moors. You'll have passed it if you've walked most of the area. There are several more that I know of.

These are not bothies as such (no fireplaces, sleeping platforms, etc), but are usually open, though I'm not sure how fond the owners are of people kipping in them overnight.
 Billhook 07 Apr 2017
In reply to Bellie:

Thanks!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...