Damned boot sizing. Advice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 04 Apr 2017
Wondering if my new boots are the right size...

I bought a pair of UK 11.5, EU 46.5 Hanwag Horndl boots. However they may be too big but trying to ascertain that without invalidating my right to return them is nearly impossible! I cannot wear them outside.

The insoles of the boots measure 31cm and are bigger than the insoles of my Zamberlan boots, which are an EU 47! So the Hanwag 46.5 is bigger than the Zamberlan 47...

My foot measurements are; left 28.4cm and right 28.9cm. However charts vary a fair bit on the internet when matching up foot lengths to boot sizes.

Are boots, with an insole of 31cm, too big?

I know there should be some room at the heel but should I go down to a size 11? Unfortunately no shop stocks these in Glasgow: I had to order them in at Cotswold Outdoors, so i can't just pop in and try. I have already gone down from a pair of UK 12 Horndl boots. Do I need to go even more down? It seems odd as, in any other make, a size 11 would be too small for boots (fine for trainers).

So much measurements, so little consistency!
 krikoman 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

> Are boots, with an insole of 31cm, too big?
Yes, especially for me.

I know there should be some room at the heel but should I go down to a size 11?
Try a 10

Unfortunately no shop stocks these in Glasgow: I had to order them in at Cotswold Outdoors, so i can't just pop in and try. I have already gone down from a pair of UK 12 Horndl boots.
Do I need to go even more down?
If it's loose yes.
It seems odd as, in any other make, a size 11 would be too small for boots (fine for trainers).So much measurements, so little consistency!

Can't you wear them around the house to test them.

If you think they are too big, they probably are.

Ignore the numbers and use you senses.

HeMa 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

>However charts vary a fair bit on the internet when matching up foot lengths to boot sizes

Yes, but generally the one from the actual manufacturer is pretty spot on.

> Are boots, with an insole of 31cm, too big?

I'd say yes...

starbug 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

Recently brought a pair of AKU boots and as they were not a brand I had used before I made the effort to find a stockist.
The nearest two were equidistant at 70 odd miles. Called the shop to make sure they had stock in my estimated sizes 9.5 through to 11 and then went and spent an hour trying them on. With associated advice from the shop staff.
Ended up in size 10.5

As the shop was in Snowdonia I then had an afternoon out on the hills. Subsequently wore the boots for a week in the alps where they performed very well and were very comfortable.

In short if you are investing in some decent boots why not combine a day out to your nearest stockist with a day on the hill. Appreciate that may well have to be down to the lake district for you as that’s where most stockists seem to be for your chosen brand of boot.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...