Climbing Shoe Repair - Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The Marmot 30 Mar 2017
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a good climbing shoe repairer? Several on google, but looking for a meaningful recommendation please.

I need the rand replaced on my much loved (and perfect fitting) boreal lasers.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks
M
 johncook 30 Mar 2017
In reply to The Marmot:

Cheshire Resoles. The shoes come back with the toe rand patched all in the price. A choice of several rubbers and thicknesses available. Really quick turn-round as well.
 Alex Riley 30 Mar 2017
In reply to johncook:

Just had a pair done by llanberis resoles. Quick turnaround, good workmanship (better than when they were new). Climb nicely, felt like a new shoe, but comfier.
 penyolewen 31 Mar 2017
In reply to The Marmot:
I came across a similar post (don't recall where) the other day.
Anyway this is the www site, small family business in Greece - http://www.shoedoc.eu/rock%20climbing.htm
there is a video at bottom of the page, Katanas being resoled for a UK customer.

Edit: found the original post.
https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?n=660715&v=1#x8524094
Post edited at 08:57
 slab_happy 31 Mar 2017
In reply to The Marmot:

Seconding Llanberis Resoles, had nothing but good results from them.
In reply to slab_happy:

> Seconding Llanberis Resoles, had nothing but good results from them.

Very good workmanship. Shame that they don't use 5.10 stealth anymore
The Marmot 31 Mar 2017
In reply to The Marmot:

Thanks for the posts, greatly appreciated

M
 Ben.o.neill 31 Mar 2017
In reply to The Marmot:

https://www.resoles.co.uk

I've used these before and they did a great job.
Removed User 31 Mar 2017
In reply to The Marmot:

I've used Feet First in Chesterfield twice recently, I'm pleased with the results and will use them again. They have me a choice of rubber, ooer, and both times had to repair the rand as well as the sole, the shoes are, in my opinion, indistinguishable from how they were when new.
 ripper 01 Apr 2017
In reply to Christheclimber:

> Very good workmanship. Shame that they don't use 5.10 stealth anymore

I've had one very satisfactory resole by Llanberis resoles but wouldn't use them again if this is true - just because i want stealth on my 5.10s. the website does make it sound more like 'haven't got any in at the moment' than 'not using it anymore' tho
 Jim Lancs 01 Apr 2017
I used several different firms over the years, but many of them were over enthusiastic with the sanding when they blended the rand to the new sole. They all looked great when they came back but some wore through after a ridiculously short time as so little rubber remained.

Cheshire Shoe Repair or Resoles seem to take a bit more care and leave more rubber on where you need it.
In reply to ripper:
I'm eternally surprised that 5.10 stealth is held in such high regard....

Vibram is used by La Sportiva & Scarpa - you don't see all the pros complaining of poor robber while sending their next E11/9b/5.15 project!

I'm just about through my Boostics that were re-soled in XS-Grip2 by Llaneris last spring - they've been my go-to shoe since then, so that's quite good wear for me.
Post edited at 13:52
 ripper 01 Apr 2017
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

I'm completely aware of the lack of any logical basis for my preference but I prefer to stick to the original spec when having anything refurbed, also as Torquil at LR says there are significant differences in stiffness between rubbers, with stealth being a fair bit stiffer than vibram. Could be wrong but my guess is that stiffness is part of the structure of the shoe, so I wouldn't want to mess with that.
michael.spackman 13 Apr 2017
In reply to The Marmot:
A late response, but another recommendation for Cheshire Shoe Repairs. Used them for years - always good quality rockboot repair, prompt return and fair price. This time some extra personal service: I'd asked also for a pair of walking boot laces, but ambiguously and they instead replaced the rockboot laces. I emailed on Saturday night. They replied Sunday morning saying they'd retrieved my (much preferred) old laces and would sent them back, plus walking boot laces. These arrived Tuesday.
 BrendanO 13 Apr 2017
In reply to michael.spackman:

+1 for Cheshire, and Tiso's service has been good too (think they used to do this in-house; not sure now).

Lately, I have bought nearly new shoes (same model as worn out ones) at similar price to resole, so not resoling currently. Maybe I shouldn't be posting this!!
 IPPurewater 13 Apr 2017
In reply to BrendanO:

Another vote for Cheshire shoe repairs. I've used them many times with good results.
 uphillnow 13 Apr 2017
In reply to The Marmot:

Friends have had good resoles done by Cheshire Resoles but the repair they did on mine was to dire.
 robert-hutton 30 Apr 2017
In reply to penyolewen:

Just received back my shoes rerand and sole from George from fixarock in Greece and great job, quick turnaround all for 35€
 Fiskavaig 30 Apr 2017
In reply to The Marmot:

Cheshire or feet first, both do good job

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...