Bus stop Quarry ..septuagenarian . New a rock fall.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Peter Swift 28 Mar 2017
septuagenarian Route at Bus Stop Quarry North wales. Rock fall, Second bolt now on the floor.... Also looks unstable. BEWARE I would say don't Climb until Further notice .

Report to Moderator 28/03/17
 Sl@te Head 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Peter Swift:

Thanks for reporting this, I always thought the rock there was a bit suspect and it's probably had 100's if not 1000's of ascents!

Maybe it's time to try Colin's other route.....
Octogenarian (5b)
 ianstevens 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Peter Swift:

This bit of the face always seems to have new bits coming off, and looks obviously unstable. I'm more surprised that people try to climb it rather than the news that some more of it has come off.
In reply to Peter Swift:
I was just remembering the first time I climbed it and afterwards my belayer told me there was rock fall potential on the route..... .....Then I realised that was you, Pete !

Shame - I quite liked that route.
Hope no-one was on it at the time?
There was a group starting on the next route along ( First Stop (5a) ) when I left Bus-stop on Monday evening - can't say I looked to see if anything had fallen then.

UKC route description is updated now.
Post edited at 22:19
OP Peter Swift 28 Mar 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

What's yout problem, ? I,m just reporting rock fall. Don't even Bother relying to this. I,m off to climb a grade 2+ maybe a little soft 2+ And then go post it Facebook so all my friends and see it.

In reply to Sl@te Head:
> probably had 100's if not 1000's of ascents!

984 logged on UKC !
Post edited at 22:18
 disco_davis 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Peter Swift:

Spinning!!!!
 ianstevens 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Peter Swift:

> What's yout problem, ? I,m just reporting rock fall. Don't even Bother relying to this. I,m off to climb a grade 2+ maybe a little soft 2+ And then go post it Facebook so all my friends and see it.

Sorry what? I don't have a problem... You reported on a rockfall, I made a passing comment that that section of Bus Stop has always looked unstable and that I wasn't surprised by a rockfall. Enjoy your 2+'s and Facebook posts.
 Ross Morgan 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Peter Swift:

Me and my friend were climbing the route when it happened on Monday afternoon, no injuries thank God but 4m of slate came down off the wall. Marked it "Don't Climb".
 Sl@te Head 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Ross Morgan:

Glad you both avoided injury

What exactly happened?

Worth pointing out to those who are not aware, that care needs to be taken with all slate routes particularly after the effects of winter, take care and enjoy....but never assume that just because it's bolted it's safe.
OP Peter Swift 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Ross Morgan:

Glad your both ok.
 Ross Morgan 03 Apr 2017
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Climber was at the first bolt I was belaying. Me and another member of the group (non-climber) noticed small bits of slate coming off the wall. Then the second bolt and all of the slate around it started to move off the wall, I alerted the climber who jumped right with the rock narrowly missing his left shoulder. I jumped right with the rock landing about 2m to my left. Lowered the understandably shaky climber off the wall and moved to a completely different section of the quarry. Marked the route ''Dont climb, Rock fall'' as mentioned before.
 Michael Hood 03 Apr 2017
In reply to Ross Morgan:

> Lowered the understandably shaky climber off the wall and moved to a completely different section of the quarry.

Personally I would have moved to the pub for a large drink and then a lie down

That sounds like a nasty close call, well done both for avoiding any injury.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...