Climbing and Conservation Dissertation Questionnaire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Beth95 28 Mar 2017
Hi
I am a student at Newcastle University and also a keen climber. I somehow wanted to include climbing in my dissertation to do with ecology as they are two things I have a passion about. The research is exploring the potential to combine conservation, rock climbing and scientific discovery. I would be grateful if any of you could spare a few moments of your time to fill in my questionnaire (follow the link below) about your perspectives when out climbing. All answers will remain anonymous
Much appreciated

https://freeonlinesurveys.com/s/0xPoUCYJ
 jimtitt 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Beth95:

A bit hard to answer some of the questions in a meaningful way as most of us are fully aware we have an impact on the environment by going climbing and we accept this, exactly the same as in normal life.
 Andy Johnson 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Beth95:

Done!

I think that Q5 could do with a "Both" option. Also, "accommodation" is miss-spelt in Q18.
abseil 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Beth95:

Done, good luck with your studies.
 pebbles 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Beth95:

its not possible to answer all these questions accurately as some of them contain inbuilt assumptions
 greg_may_ 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Beth95:

As others have said, you need to reword questions. Answers aren't applicable as they are.
 toad 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Beth95:
I've done it, but run your research questions by friends or family before you let them out in the wild, there are some good ideas but also questions that are poorly expressed
 heleno 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Beth95:

Done. Hope your dissertation goes well
 sheelba 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Beth95:
As with the others some poorly designed questions, for example I would suggest that if someone climbs less often than two years they're probably not going to be able to fill in the form in a meaningful way. On a more general note many of the surveys on here seen very wedded to quantitative approaches when like this one you would probably gather much more meaningful data with a qualitative or mixed methods approach. Also be aware that you may well not get a very representative sample, people who are willing to answer a questionnaire on climbing and conservation are probably more likely to value conservation.

Lots of interesting questions involving climbing and ecology and from my brief searching very little written on the topic. First and foremost some good data on the effect winter climbing has on rare cliff dwelling plant life appears much needed.
Post edited at 19:19
 Bulls Crack 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Beth95:

Climber do enjoy open access rights by the way!
 scott titt 30 Mar 2017
In reply to Beth95:

Have you read the BMC environmental policy document? I suspect that you, and any who answered yes to Q8, are making assumptions.
grubus 30 Mar 2017
In reply to Beth95:

A worthwhile questionnaire. Make sure you copy your dissertation to some appropriate policy makers/ conservation organisations.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...