Choosing sleeping bag and down jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Collin1994 26 Mar 2017
Currently in the search for a new down jacket and sleeping bag.
Before this new purchase i owned a Cumulus quilt 350 combined with a thermarest neo-air x-lite size women's
Now looking to make a big investment for 3 season sleeping bag that can be upgraded to a 4 season one.
Budget is off course important but can be stretched when needed.
The down jacket will be used mostly as a outer layer and when it gets really cold as midlayer.
Currently narrowed down the search to lightweight hybrid jacket and PHD minimus jacket.
The berghaus ulvetanna hybrid at 409 gram with 850 cuin and synthetic insulation in areas prone to overheating.
Is such a jacket a lot colder then a full down jacket, and what about overheating when climbing wearing a minimus jacket?

The sleeping bag i looking at are
fully priced PHD hispar 400, rated a -9 weight 765 ( small and slim with drishell outer fabric ) €582
Sale minim 350, 614 grams but only rated to -2 celcius. €317 according specs i want.
Or a marmot plasma 15, -9 celcius rating and 880 grams and about the same price as a PHD hispar 400
Marmot phase 20, weight only 662 and rated -7, costs about €425

Main use will probably be 3 season alpinism growing on towards 4 season, a just 20 years old.
So don't where my outdoor carreer will be going eventually.
Do love the outdoors and been rock climbing since 13 years old, went camping a 4 years old and still doing it.
This year i will go climbing with my twin brother, linking all of the highest summits in Austria together.
already have
arc teryx alpha fl 45 as pack
Exped downmat winterlite 480 grams, -32 celcius rated.
Sea too summit thermolite reactor plus compact, liner bag, rated as adding 10 celcius weight 260 grams
Will be an investment for the next 10 years, but don't want to spend a absolute fortune.
WIlling too spend it, if worth the investment though.

any advice and experiences would be welcome
 timmeehhhh 27 Mar 2017
In reply to Collin1994:

I doubt that a 350 or 400 fill bag like you mention would be much warmer than your quilt.
If you can use the Cumulus quilt for summer alpinism, nice additions for 3+ season use would be the Cumulus Panyam 600 or Teneqa 700 bags. In combination with some down clothing, these would also be suitable for 4 season use in the Alps.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...