IML Speedy Nav test

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Snugglebunny 23 Mar 2017
Hello,

I am doing IML summer training this year. I am really worried about the Speed Navigation Test. It is going to be on the first day of the course :-/

Does anyone know the format of this? Do you get clues to follow and work out where to go on the hoof, or is it points marked on a map that you need to nav to... or something completely different?

I want to practice for this, but not sure of the best way to go about it

Any other top tips would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!
 KA 24 Mar 2017
In reply to Snugglebunny:

You'll be given a map and orienteering card, and expected to find five or six ( I can't remember exactly how many) points, marked with orienteering markers on the ground.
Timings are based on Naismith's rule from what I remember.

Best bet to practise is to do just that, mark 5 or 6 features on a map then go out and find them whilst timing yourself.

JayPee630 24 Mar 2017
In reply to Snugglebunny:

Did mine at Glenmore Lodge a few years ago. Was an orienteering kind of thing, with those markers and clip things. Vaguely remember about 11-12 points to collect. Mostly pretty standard micro-nav, and the time given was generous, did a mix of jogging and steady walking and had loads of time to spare. Don't stress, it wasn't hard. And think the couple of people that failed it got a chance to re-do it later that week.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...