reproofing gore tex, event and polartec powershield

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 r1ch79 22 Mar 2017
Hello

Gore Tex - Do I wash inside out or right way round to wash with nikwax washing liquid also do I add washing liquid to drum or top drawer?

Do I then add tx reproofer whilst still wet and tumble dry or do I allow to dry natural then add tx then tumble?

Reagrds eVent do I just do the same as GoreTex?

Polartec powershield softshell has a fleecy wicking inside lining

does this get washed and reprooofed inside out or right way round?

and can I use the same nikwax solutions as I do for the gore tex and event

can anyone help?

I have never done this before but my goretex is wetting out straight away and has bever ben washed any my s/shell still beads a little but not much........

GarethSL 22 Mar 2017
In reply to wannabeagoat:
1. Boil wash your washing machine whilst empty to remove residual detergent.
2. Insert jacket, troos whatever into drum and close door. All zips done up, pockets empty.
3. Insert liquid soap of whatever type to draw marked II/.
4. Turn on synthetic cycle 40°C, ideally with second rinse cycle.
5. Remove jacket and allow to air dry til slightly damp.
6. Use Nickwax, grangers whatever (the more hazardous chemicals the better) spray on re-proofer to outside of jacket only. Additionally you can use a saturated sponge to work in agent around pockets, shoulders, zips, cuffs etc. Also ensures and even covering and prevents streaking of agent
7. Allow to air dry til slightly damp, check for streaks and remove with a sponge/cloth soaked in re-proofer.
8. Tumble dry on low-medium heat. Check regularly to ensure seam tape or laminated zips are not de-laminating due to heat. (people will argue this isnt necessary. ignore them)
9. If pedantic iron.

10a. if any seam tape, seams or zips that are laminated with heat activated glue do fall apart, they are easily stuck back together with a warm iron.

10b. If jacket is super minging. Wash in normal detergent first at 40°C then rinse.

10c. If it has dirt ingrained in the fabric. you will never get it out. Welcome to the world of technical fabrics and permadirt.

10d. go out in rain with nicely washed jacket. Watch all of your hard work get washed away in minutes with creamy liquid running down your legs because for the sake of the fish most re-proofing agents use water as a solvent. Ho humm.
Post edited at 11:22
Removed User 22 Mar 2017
In reply to wannabeagoat:

I've used Nikwax loads for re-waterproofing. It's never quite the same as when you first get it, but is sure revitalises it and brings back some confidence in your gear. Keeping your stuff clean helps too. I've not used Nikwax on eVent, only GoreTex, but it works in the same way. Here's some info on the Tech wash and polar proof wash etc which might help: https://coolofthewild.com/gear/nikwax-review

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...