Cobdens Hotel Capel Curig.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkesley 20 Mar 2017
Anyone know what's happening with this? Walked past it this weekend and it appears to be closed and in need of some renovation. Haven't been past it for about 18 months, at which time it was open. In the 1960's we had several family holidays there. I was telling my children that we used to swim in the river and catch trout for tea. River was in full spate on Saturday and I wouldn't have fancied my chances swimming in it last weekend!
 Simon Caldwell 20 Mar 2017
In reply to wilkesley:

It closed in about 2013 or 2014 and reopened last year. But I also noticed at the weekend that it seems to be shut again. A great shame, it was always our pub of choice in the area. Perhaps it's just too close to the (unaccountably popular IMO) Tyn y Coed to be busy enough to make money?
 Neil Williams 20 Mar 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
I don't know as a pub (though I do like the Tyn y Coed, mainly because of its good gluten free range but I also find it quite pleasant) - but as a hotel Cobdens was rubbish - out of date and cold due to single glazed windows. Needed serious work to be viable - as it was I'd choose the premium hostel place up the road by the Siabod Cafe over that hotel.
Post edited at 12:34
 Babika 20 Mar 2017
In reply to wilkesley:

I agree its a shame. We used to enjoy watching the rugby there with a beer after a day on the hills. Now it has to be the Royal Victoria.

But I also agree about investment and the windows. We had a couple of club dinners there and it would probably have been warmer in a tent!!
 Jimbob11 20 Mar 2017
In reply to Neil Williams:

I think that's the nail on the head really, someone with a long term plan with a short term investment/renovate could turn it into a viable popular business again over time, there's always room for accommodation and food in that area. But without at least matching the more basic accommodation in the area then it's not going to be top of the lost when looking and booking. Would love to see it open and making money again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...