Via Ferrata Staples where to buy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dangerous Dave 15 Mar 2017
Morning folks,

Trying to find where I can buy some via ferrata staples from, preferably in 316ss.

The idea is to place them for access for the Orchestra cave on the Aberdeen coast but obviously I need to find some first. At the moment folk either jug out on the rope or solo up a damp chimney. The discussion amongst locals is that it would be great to have some better access in this style but no one can really be arsed doing it, so I thought I would at least look into it!

Any advice appreciated.
 zoobizooretta 15 Mar 2017
In reply to Dangerous Dave:

They're just bent rebar, get some made, ROM will give you a quote.
http://www.rom.co.uk/products/rebar.html
 scott titt 15 Mar 2017
My brother makes them in 316. Google bolt products Jim Titt
 Toerag 15 Mar 2017

Seacliff? Use 316 from BP above. Also, consider only fitting them for hands and 'chipping' footholds - visually less intrusive and longer lasting.
In reply to Toerag:

Thanks folks,

Will prob get an order in from BP at some point.

Will not be chipping any holds as its granite and drilling hols will be hard enough!!
As for the visuals its really not a concern due to there location.
 jimtitt 15 Mar 2017

I do indeed make them in 316L, both full-on via-ferrata style which are a bit overkill for climbers access and single-step ones which are probably better for this. I´ ve recently sent out some smaller bolt-on ones to Australia for a keen sea-angler to access a fishing area. There´ s some in the UK somewhere as well!
In reply to jimtitt:

Hi Jim,

Had a look on your site but can't see the ones you are talking about. How much are they each? Would need between 10 and 15 i think.
> Had a look on your site but can't see the ones you are talking about.

Try http://www.bolt-products.com/ViaFerrataEquipment.htm

jimtitt 16 Mar 2017

Bolt-on steps are more expensive, especially as you need two bolts as well so if glueing is possible that´ s the better way to go. And they don´ t get stolen!!!!!
The guy in Australia specifically wanted bolt-ons because he had to install them aiding up an overhanging cliff.
In reply to jimtitt:

Ah right sorry, I thought you meant that you had something more suitable than this http://www.bolt-products.com/ViaFerrataEquipment.htm

Currently in discussion with our bolt fund to see if folk think its a good idea.
 jimtitt 16 Mar 2017

It isn´ t easy to find a more suitable way to make them without being more expensive, huge and ugly. They have to be out from the rock about 150mm, wide enough for big feet, stop the feet sliding off sideways and strong enough they don´ t bend. Welding is expensive and prone to corrosion so one-piece glue-in is the way to go.
You´ ve only got to look at the commercially available options to see what you end up with (they are called chamber steps for installing in sewers and similar)!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...