Buying a Sleeping Bag? Part 1: Temperature Ratings Explained

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sleeping bag montage, 3 kbIf you're in the market for a new sleeping bag it can be a baffling choice. From fill and fabrics to temperature ratings and test standards, scientist Matthew Fuller guides us through the minefield.

Read more
 jezb1 13 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

I may have missed it, but I didn't see it explain why the different figures relate to men / women?
 Timmd 13 Mar 2017
In reply to jezb1:
I only skimmed through, looking for something which wasn't there (I had a different kind of article on sleeping bags in mind upon clicking), but it's because women generally feel the cold a little bit more than men.
Post edited at 12:00
 Mr Fuller 13 Mar 2017
In reply to jezb1:

Yes, as Timmd says, it's because women tend to feel the cold more than men. The second article addresses this a little bit more.
 Simon4 16 Mar 2017
In reply to Mr Fuller:

I got the impression that you were more concerned about the predominantly smaller size of women and the close or otherwise fit of the bag.
 stp 29 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Good and useful article. A few years ago I got a cheap synthetic bag supposedly comfortable at minus 5. I thought this would be warm enough for Spain in March. But it was freezing. The temperature only went down to +3 at night but still the bag was not up to it.

My best bag was one I swapped with a mountaineer many years ago. It had 1400 grams of down and was a proper expedition bag. It was great. I remember sleeping at Hueco Tanks hut when the temp fell to -14C one night. Everyone else froze but I didn't even need to put my t-shirt on. That bag had so much loft even when it was empty it looked like someone was inside it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...