Lake District walks with the wife, any recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Lee E 12 Mar 2017

Hi everyone,
I'm heading up to the Lake District early April with the wife and I'm looking for some advice on a couple of walking routs in the area.
We are looking at doing 3 circular walks of around 2-4 hours, and would like something easy to moderate as the wife is reasonably fit but not been out on the hills for over 8 months.
It will be our first time up there walking and would like to make the most of the scenery and we'll be staying near Windermere. We'll be travelling up from North Wales early Friday and plan on doing a few hours on the hills in the afternoon. We don't mind having to travel around the lakes to do some good walking but she doesn't fancy any scrambling.
Any routes or advice would much be appreciated.
Lee Evans
In reply to Lee E:

A walk up Loughrigg from either Ambleside or the car park at Rydal Water would be a good first day out.

T.
J1234 12 Mar 2017
In reply to Lee E:

Try these http://www.crosthwaiteandlyth.co.uk/damsonwalks.html the Winster one is a favourite of ours. It gives fantastic views into the Lakes and in April the Damson Blossom may be out.
 Trangia 12 Mar 2017
In reply to Lee E:

Castle Crag in Borrowdale is a lovely little fell, and a great one for starters.
In reply to Lee E:

And two shorter walks that are always rewarding are the circuit round Buttermere (essentially flat, but you could extend it to go up Fleetwith Pike if you wish) and a circular route including climbing Catbells. Great views on both.

T.
 Wainers44 12 Mar 2017
In reply to Lee E:

High...by cheating a bit, Pike o Bliscoe, or Cold Pike from Wrynose Pass.

Low...and off the normal list...High Rigg, walking the fell from Thirlspot (to get the Blencathra view in front), then walk back along St John's in the Vale. Or a little higher, Carrock Fell.
 Jon Stewart 12 Mar 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> And two shorter walks that are always rewarding are the circuit round Buttermere (essentially flat, but you could extend it to go up Fleetwith Pike if you wish)

I'd go for Haystacks from Buttermere as one of the best short walks including a miniature - but wild and spectacular -summit.

wercat 12 Mar 2017
In reply to Lee E:

Lots of easy to moderates in the Grasmere area - get there early though as it's a honeypot.

Easedale Tarn - nice on a fine day for a picnic beside the tarn. Likewise Alcock Tarn. Or Helm Crag, nice little summit with a small scramble to reach the true summit, often not visited by walkers but fun if the rock is dry.

Grisedale Tarn from Dunmail Raise. In Langdale Stickle Tarn, nice but rather busy.

Also popular the tearoom up at Watendlath reached from various spots in Borrowdale (Great wood car park or Rosthwaite (shorter but steeper up/down though always a straightforward path.) Up there the birds flit around on to the table quite entertainingly.

Lee E 12 Mar 2017
In reply to Lee E:

Thank you very much for all the advice and routes, I'm sure I will have many more questions tomorrow once I've done a bit of research on the routes suggested.

Thanks again.
 GrahamD 12 Mar 2017
In reply to Lee E:

Helm crag (lion and Lamb) is nice. Walk up to stickle tarn is a nice one.
 Tom the tall 12 Mar 2017
In reply to Lee E:

Grasmere-silver Howe- blea rigg- easedale tarn- Grasmere.

Rosthwaite- castle crag(option)- house gate- maiden moor- high spy- Rosthwaite (or vice versa)

Styhead and sprinkling tarns from seathwaite

Buttermere fells Red pike to scarth gap and back along lake shore from Buttermere.
Lee E 14 Mar 2017
In reply to Lee E:
We have decided on Catbells on the Friday and Loughrigg from Ambleside on the Saturday and Sunday will be a lazy day.
Thanks
Lee
 Mark Kemball 14 Mar 2017
In reply to Lee E:

Catbells is an excellent choice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...