What is the best all rounder jacket?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
estivoautumnal 12 Mar 2017
I'm looking for one jacket that does it all. A big ask, as it obviously won't be perfect for everything, but a jack-of-all-trades and master-of-some would be good.

For example. If I'm cycle touring in France I may take a couple of days off for some hill walking. So a thin-ish, breathable jacket with pit zips and not too short would be ideal. Or when packing light for a walking holiday where it can be warm and wet at sea level and snowing on the tops.

Does this mythical item of apparel exist?
 AlanLittle 12 Mar 2017
In reply to estivoautumnal:

Harris Tweed? Ventile?
 keepguessing 12 Mar 2017

A wind jacket, fleece and synthetic t-shirt.
 GarethSL 12 Mar 2017

Speaking of ventile: http://www.tilak.cz/en/loke-jacket
In reply to GarethSL:

Thanks for that link. Not a jacket I've seen before. I like the fact they come with a waterproof zipy.
 GarethSL 12 Mar 2017

They also have a few other versions, plus a ventile anorak
 Dave the Rave 12 Mar 2017
In reply to AlanLittle:

Firemore Ventile Smock would be ideal for this.
 GrahamD 12 Mar 2017

The faced fleece I got from Mountain Equipment Coop 20 years ago is close but probably superseded by soft shells these days

As Soloing 9a said, create and build up a layering system. That way you'll be able to tweak it and fit it for arctic exploration to sitting in the pub and everything in between. No way around it. Otherwise you'll have a layer that's too warm in summer, too cold in winter, too leaky or not breathable etc. Start from your base layer and build up.
 Nbrain 12 Mar 2017

This week I would say the rab alpha direct!
In reply to Nbrain:

Thanks.
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Thanks for that. I have all the layering malarkey but need a jacket that I can use when cycle touring that can cope with a day off the saddle and take a day in the hills. Trying to keep weight to a minimum on long cycles is paramount so hence the need for a single jacket.
 BnB 13 Mar 2017
In reply to estivoautumnal

Is your priority waterproofing or windproofing?

For the former Jottnar Asmund (jacket) or Hymir (smock) because they are the most breathable waterproofs available. For the latter, Arcteryx Squamish for the comfort features and durability.

In the new and untested department, try the Rab Kinetic which claims to offer the benefits of both. And you'll be the first so let us know what you think.
 ben b 13 Mar 2017

That doesn't sound like a jack of all trades jacket - sounds like a cycling and hillwalking jacket. No insulation or extreme abrasion resistance required, hood may not need to be worn over helmet, etc.

In which case I'd suggest any Paclite jacket you may wish, or an Neo or an eVent shell if you can look after it really well. Paclite has stood the test of time though, and appears to have a longer usable life.

b
estivoautumnal 13 Mar 2017
In reply to ben b:

Thanks.
estivoautumnal 13 Mar 2017
In reply to BnB:

Looked at the Jottnar Asmund, now selling at £299 so looks like good value and pretty much just what I'm looking for.

Waterproofing is the main priority. I do a lot of cycle touring with rest days spent walking, so cycle jackets are not ideal. No hoods and long tails etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...