Recommend me a highlands hill run for tomorrow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lloydfletch 11 Mar 2017

Hi all,

The weather looks a bit dodgy for climbing tomorrow, and frankly the skiing looks crap. I've been trying to have hill running as a backup for just such a day as tomorrow, however being mainly a climber I'm not that familiar with good routes. Last september I ran from the linn of dee to cairn toul via the angel's crest and back which was great, have done a few others that were a bit shorter, and plenty of running in the pentlands.

So, could anyone recommend a good run for tomorrow please! Looking at photos online it seems that you could avoid snow in some areas, which I would be keen to do. Just passes or cols rather than summits would be fine if necessary to steer clear of much snow. About 20-30km would be good. Give or take. I live in edinburgh so anywhere within a reasonable drive.

Thanks!
Post edited at 20:31
OP Lloydfletch 11 Mar 2017
In reply to Lloydfletch:

Bump
 steelbru 11 Mar 2017
In reply to Lloydfletch:
Google the Mell Circuit.

It starts from Brig o'Turk in the Trossachs, and is a great, pretty hilly ( 770m ) , 16 or so miles through quite remote countryside, just to the west of Ben Ledi.
 steelbru 11 Mar 2017
In reply to Lloydfletch:

Another good circuit, a bit shorter at about 13 miles, is from the top of Glen Ogle. Run back down the glen on the cyclepath over the viaduct. Do not follow the cycle route 7 down the steep zigzags to Lochearnhead, but stay on the old railway line through 3 big gates, then turn north up Glen Kendrum. Land Rover track all the way up to the high point, then all the way down to Glen Dochart. Forestry Road then climbs back up to the top of Glen Ogle again. About 500m of climbing.
In reply to steelbru:

Good shout. I'd actually seen this one a good while back and forgotten about it, perfect for this time of year. Thank you!
 Padraig 11 Mar 2017
In reply to Lloydfletch:

I live in edinburgh so anywhere within a reasonable drive.Thanks!

Pentland Skyline is your friend. I'd be surprised if you not heard of it?

steelbru 11 Mar 2017
In reply to Padraig:

He said in the OP that he'd done plenty running in the Pentlands, so was assuming he was wanting a change..............
In reply to Padraig:

"...have done a few others that were a bit shorter, and plenty of running in the pentlands."

Done the skyline and many of its sections loads last year. it's doable after work soon enough so want to go somewhere a bit further away. Also, it does have significant sections without good paths, which might be a bit of a pain now no? The gorms have highways over a lot of it, ideal for this time of year (assuming they're snow free)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...