Vanoise Alps... dog restrictions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 11 Mar 2017
We're thinking of a family holiday to the Vanoise Alps this summer, looks like a beautiful area and loads of stuff for us and the kids to do in terms of walking, easy cragging, biking etc. However I've just been reading up on the National Park and see that the 'central zone' of the park has various restrictions including no dogs allowed. We're planning on taking our dog (partly as we've never not taken her on holiday and partly as she'd be hard work for anyone else to look after).

Could anyone who's been to the area comment on whether the dog restrictions will massively hamper us? We're going with another family so will more than likely be taking it in turns to run / climb etc. Planning on staying in Pralognan which seems to be in the peripheral zone and I'm assuming there's plenty of perfectly good things we can all do together in the peripheral bit.

We went to Ailefroide with 2 dogs a few years ago and I see that the Ecrins has a similar set up with central zone restrictions but we were completely unaware when we were there and didn't see any signs about dogs or encounter any problems (maybe we just didn't go to the central area).

Am crossing my fingers this is a viable idea. It'll be the first summer we've had 1 not 2 dogs hence deciding we could get more adventurous than NW Scotland....
 bms 11 Mar 2017
In reply to Removed Usersmm:

We've been to Pralo on several occasions with our dog and do enjoy ourselves. Having said that it can be a bit frustrating not being able to take her into the National Park itself as we do miss out on lots of very good walking.

The Park boundaries are well signposted where footpaths cross them and the authorities do seem to be quite serious about enforcement. Last summer I arrived at a high col very early in the morning with the dog and found two gendarmes patrolling/ having a jolly at the park boundary and they were very quick to give me a friendly lecture about not straying into the park with the dog.

The dog has been made welcome in all the bars/ restaurants we have visited and also on the local cable car.

I would suggest you study the IGN map of the area (where the park boundaries are also clearly marked) and see if there is enough to keep the dog occupied outside of the park. It works for us and we will probably be back this summer.

Cheers,
Ben
Removed User 11 Mar 2017
In reply to bms:

Thanks. Yes I'm just a bit worried that having made the effort to get all the way out there, we'll then have a non relaxing time trying to work out dog friendly itineraries. I haven't worked out where any of the crags are yet, have you climbed in the area at dog (and child) friendly crags?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...