Winter Conditions, Survey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CraigDuncan99 10 Mar 2017
Doing a research project on the deterioration of winter mountaineering conditions in Scotland. This is in relation to ice climbing, Skiing, Ski Mountaineering and general mountaineering conditions. The projects focus is on the specific climate conditions and how they have got better and worse in recurring patterns, also looking at the future of Scottish winter mountaineering. Would love to get an comments/responses and if you have a quick minute the attached survey looks at personal views on mountaineering conditions. https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/9JKYCDN
 Chris Harris 10 Mar 2017
In reply to CraigDuncan99:
"In your experience have you noticed an incline or decline in Scottish Winter Sports?"

Lots of inclines, some quite steep...I presume you mean "increase".

Also, the overwhelming participation in winter climbing in Scotland is not "Ice climbing".

By including #7 as a statement, you pretty much, by definition, have to answer #6 as "Degraded".

Suggesting that Scotland has "usual" conditions is probably optimistic.
Post edited at 13:59
OP CraigDuncan99 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Chris Harris:

Adjusted the survey, Thanks!
 Tobes 10 Mar 2017

> Doing a research project on the deterioration of winter mountaineering conditions in Scotland.

Is this not a leading statement which suggests the outcome of the survey/research has already been determined?

Michael Gordon 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Chris Harris:

> Suggesting that Scotland has "usual" conditions is probably optimistic.

or indeed "consistent"
 Trangia 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Tobes:

> Is this not a leading statement which suggests the outcome of the survey/research has already been determined?

Correct, Your Honour! The OP would never make a good Barrister!!
 3leggeddog 10 Mar 2017

I am really unsure what you are looking for here.

There has been no trend positive or negative in 20 odd years of my Scottish winter climbing, just good years and poor years.

Asking on here you will get skewed responses, if a climber has a good season, ie gets out lots, he will tend to record it as good conditions. Getting out lots of course depends on many more variables than just the conditions, work, cash, family, partners etc. Last winter I had a bumper season but the conditions were not exceptional. My opportunities and weather windows coincided well.

Far better data than the perceptions of climbers can be sourced from the met office, Mwis, sais etc.
 Michael Gordon 11 Mar 2017
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Dunno about that - the study is about 'winter mountain conditions', not weather patterns. Of course not everyone will have the same idea of 'conditions' but individual views of climbers, skiers etc are surely valid since these activities seem to be what the study is focussing on. Someone who has been skiing in the hills for many years will likely have a better idea of when conditions have been good than a weather forecasting site. That said, data showing heavy snow winters may be useful alongside.

I agree that 10 years is not enough to read any sort of trend - 30 maybe?
 summo 11 Mar 2017

Think personal experience is to variable. As it depends when and where people go etc..

Better to count the number of ski days per season, but also how many pistes are open.

Speak to the two national centres working up there in winter. How many winter MLs were cancelled or moved, ice climbing courses modified. It won't be easy as courses aren't usually binned, just the aims and activities modified.

Look at annual snow depth. First and last recorded winter climb each season. Snow persistence. Road closures due to snow.

Better to gather data if you want a factual study. Or ask opinion if you want a perceived view of winters.
 Rich W Parker 11 Mar 2017

I can predict the result. Conditions consistent over the last 40 years; an increase in popularity of winter sports.
 Doug 11 Mar 2017
In reply to summo:

> First and last recorded winter climb each season.

Except that there's been a marked shift to 'mixed' routes which need much less snow/ice or prolonged cold periods to come into condition, plus (at least it seems) an increase in numbers. So simply looking at dates might not work very well.
 summo 11 Mar 2017
In reply to Doug:

> Except that there's been a marked shift to 'mixed' routes which need much less snow/ice or prolonged cold periods to come into condition, plus (at least it seems) an increase in numbers. So simply looking at dates might not work very well.

Would agree. Perhaps first and last ascent of point 5 and alladins mirror to give an east and west perspective. Number of years elliots downfall touches down or is climbed.
OP CraigDuncan99 13 Mar 2017

To be clear im looking at the weather patterns using measured data, the survey is to look at any personal opinions on the subject.
 AdrianC 13 Mar 2017

Is that with the intention of comparing the opinions with the facts?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...