REVIEW: La Sportiva Trango Ice Cube GTX

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 10 Mar 2017
The thermoplastic coating gives the uppers lightweight structure  , 4 kbA winterised big sister to La Sportiva's Trango Cube GTX, the Trango Ice Cube GTX is impressively light for a technical ice and mixed climbing boot, says Dan Bailey. This has been a tough season to test winter boots, but he's seen enough to be wowed.

Read more
 Owain 10 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Do you know how these boots compare to their predecessor, Trango Extremes?

Would be great to know.
 jezb1 11 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

I've got a pair of these and I think they're ace.

I'd agree with pretty much all of the review, save for the walking bit, I don't find them clumpy to walk in at all and regarding the ankle support, there's lots of research out there to shoe the ankle protection on boots doesn't do much to prevent ankle injuries.

They really are an amazing weight, especially considering their warmth, my only concern is the sole wear, my toe area has lost it's edge quite quickly too.
 jezb1 11 Mar 2017
In reply to Owain:

> Do you know how these boots compare to their predecessor, Trango Extremes?Would be great to know.

I find the fit quite similar.
In reply to jezb1:

I have a pair of Trango Cubes same sole I believe as the ice cubes and it's now looking well worn
Around the toe area after about 10 days out oooffft ! Seems a worrying trend on new expensive boots
Also have the Trango Extremes which have lasted about 6/7 years with plenty of life left these where great boots with a proper sole unit that at least seems to give value for money there's no way my cubes will last that long......
 jezb1 11 Mar 2017
In reply to stevieweesaxs107:

Yeah, saving mine for when I really want / need them and using other boots when I can..

I picked up Some Trango Evo Extreme GTX Light boots last year, a snip at €225 new. At only 100gr heavier than the the Ice Cubes (strange name in my opinion, gives me images of feet frozen in blocks of ice) I'm wondering if the weight saving is worth it?

I've had 12 days out in them (shockingly that's all!) , including a 20km 2200m walking day and there's barely a nick out the soles - I'm surprised the ice cubes are fairing so much worse.

I do struggle a bit to get the lacing just right to stop heel lift, but plenty warm enough.

In reply to Alasdair Fulton:
Loved my Trango Extremes ,great boots I'll need to dig them out! Watch out for the Fabric that the laces thread thru they can burst easily if the stitching comes away ! Otherwise they're top notch booties

Are you tlking old-school yellow trango extremes? Or the newer silver extreme evo gtx light .......

Yellow: http://www.summitpost.org/images/gear/original/1982.jpg

Newer:

https://www.bfgcdn.com/1500_1500_90/020-0012/la-sportiva-trango-extreme-evo...
 TobyA 12 Mar 2017

What were the blue Scarpas called? I think they even predated the Extremes as light, ice/mixed boots?

I've was using my 16 year old Trango S last weekend, but the first generation ones didn't have goretex liners, fine in the Pyrenees where i got them, less good in the soggy Lake District! Otherwise they still worked well - comfy and light to walk in, fine with crampons on once in the snow.
In reply to TobyA:

No idea. My first pair were the sturdy Scarpa Cumbre! In fact, I should really get round to giving them away.

Newer Silver Extreme, think the yellow ones where Trango ice & the Blue /Silver Scarpa the Freney Xt good boots also

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...