First time hillwalking in the UK, where to go?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JR_NL 08 Mar 2017
I've been hanging out on UKC mostly (I'm more of a climber than a walker) but for this I figured UKH was better.

Together with a few friends I’m visiting the UK again in early April after living in Cranfield (near MK) a couple of years ago. None of us really explored the UK countryside much so we want to change that this time. Plenty of things to choose from, but there is so much to choose from I’m a bit lost on where to start, and I hope you guys can help get me started.

We’re 3-4 people (30 years old, all reasonably fit) with some hill-walking experience (1 day trips to huts in the Alps or 13mi day hike in NZ), but by no means experienced enough for difficult navigation or proper scrambling. We’re looking for some fairly easy hikes (but not something that grandma would be able to do), say 3 (half day) to 5/6 hours (full day) that gets us out there, offers nice views, a nice bit of exercise but doesn’t half kill us. Since we’re from the Netherlands and the flat part of Germany the view from the top of hills is a big bonus, as is a nice pub at the end .

Time wise we have almost a full day on Friday (leaving Milton Keynes in the morning and need to be at Birmingham Airport at 18:00 to pick someone up), a full day on Saturday and half a day on Sunday (back at Birmingham Airport at 16:00). We have a car so are flexible.

The Peak District is an obvious choice especially for Friday, but we are open for other suggestions. For the weekend we’ve obviously heard about the Lake District and Snowdonia which obviously are a bit further away. Do they offer something significantly better than the Peak district? Are we overlooking any area’s that we shouldn’t?

For the Peak district I already found some walking routes (i.e. http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/blog/10-peak-district-walking-routes) but I find it hard to really get an idea of what would be nice to do.

Can you guys help a clueless Dutchman with some hints? of course any other ideas for activities (already looked at cycling) and/or rainy day alternatives are welcome too.

Cheers!

Jurgen
 tony 08 Mar 2017
In reply to JR_NL:

The Peak District wouldn't be my first choice for hill-walking - there are a few nice walks, but nothing as special as elsewhere. Unfortunately, your timings rule out Scotland, which has the best hills and hillwalking in the UK. The Lake District is nice, but can be very crowded, although to be honest, the same applies to any decent hilly areas in England and Wales.

In addition to the Lakes and Snowdonia, you might also like to think about the Yorkshire Dales. Logistically, it might be easier than the Lakes and Snowdonia, and there are some good days out to be had - Malham Cove and Gordale Scar, Ingleborough, or Pen-y-Ghent for a quick jaunt.

If you can be flexible, you might want to wait to see what the weather's doing. The Peak District in the wet is a particularly miserable place, especially if you go onto Kinder plateau.
 WildCamper 08 Mar 2017
In reply to JR_NL:

Come to the lakes, some of the fells outside of the honeypot areas have excellent walking/views and even in the height of summer will be mostly empty of other people.

I rather like a lot of the fells north of the Duddon Estuary (Duddon Valley itself is beautiful) for these reasons
 stubbed 08 Mar 2017
In reply to JR_NL:

from Milton Keynes I would also say the Cotswolds. They are not mountains but the walks are pretty.
Would also recommend the Dales for the weekend trip. The food is good there, too.
If you can't do proper navigation then you might want to be careful before going to Snowdonia or other mountains, since the paths are not always waymarked like in Europe and with cloud cover you could end up needing to do some navigation.
 Mal Grey 08 Mar 2017
In reply to JR_NL:

The Peak District sounds like a good plan to me for the Friday. If the weather is poor, head for the "White Peak", or the Eastern Edges. If the weather is good, head for Edale and perhaps walk the edges of Kinder Scout (up Crowden Brook, down Grindsbrook or similar), or the ridge of Mam Tor to Losehill. You'd want to leave quite early in the morning to make sure you can walk but still make it to Birmingham for 18.00 though.

Can you go straight from Birmingham airport to Wales and stay somewhere overnight? If so, I'd head for Snowdonia, get a full day's walking in there on the Saturday, then break the journey home with a walk nearer the border perhaps, before finishing the drive (Maybe near Lake Vyrnwy?).

Snowdonia wise, as well as the obvious spots around Snowdon/Glydderau etc, you could consider Cadair Idris further south, staying in/near Dolgellau. The path up from the south makes for an excellent circuit of Cwm Cau up the Minffordd track, then east and down the ridge south of Mynydd Moel. This is a really good hillwalk, without being technically or navigationally very difficult, though if the clags down you'll need to use a compass to confirm the direction from the summit.

In reply to JR_NL:

Hi Jurgen

With your MK-Birmingham start in mind, and given the limited timeframe, I'd suggest North Wales as the ultimate destination as this is the nearest properly mountainous area. No offence to the Peak District and even the Yorkshire Dales, both have their charms and would look very hilly and wild to a Netherlander... but your best bet for really exciting mountain scenery in England and Wales is either Snowdonia or the Lake district.

Perhaps, as you've suggested, you could go via a walk in the Peak en route to the airport on the Friday. Though it's not hugely en route so you'd be doing a lot of extra driving for a relatively short day out (for a possibly more logical journey to the airport I'd maybe consider the Malvern Hills or something in the Cotswolds instead... just a thought)

In terms of route info across the UK a good place to start would be the UKH Route Cards: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/find.php ... there are no poor choices here.

Peak District-wise, something towards the south might be best: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=500

In Snowdonia, bearing in mind your parameters, these are suitable (and all totally brilliant):

Cadair Idris: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=884 (this is a big round, but much shorter alternatives are totally do-able too)

Cnicht: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=127

Moel Siabod: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=119 (this particular route on the hill is mildly hands-on, but nothing too scary for a first time scrambler I promise)

Snowdon from the southwest: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=275 ... it's the highest in Eng/Wales, which would be enough of a draw in itself. But also a really very grand mountain. This particular route largely avoids the crowds of the more normal ways up.

All of these recommendations come with the obvious caveats about only going when the weather is OK, going out suitably dressed and equipped, having a map etc...

Mike Peacock 08 Mar 2017
In reply to JR_NL:

I'd suggest Snowdonia over the Lakes or Dales as it's a little closer. If the weather is good (and you have a map!) head onto the tops - something like Moel Siabod might fit the bill. There's an easy scramble called Daear Ddu up the back from Llyn y Foel, and a good path on the way down (though the top of the path is hard to find in mist if you're not confident navigating). Good pubs at the bottom too. There are also easier, lower level walks, such as a walk from Beddgelert along the Pass of Aberglaslyn which is quite dramatic, and over the little hill of Mynydd Sygyn to Llyn Dinas, and back along the river to Beddgelert. All on good paths. They're some obvious suggestions.

For Friday and Sunday why not stay close and head to the Shropshire Hills - Caer Caradoc, The Lawley and the Long Mynd all offer great walking. You get some height (up to 500m) but they're rolling hills, not rocky mountains, and quite conveniently located from Birmingham. I'd opt for those over the Cotswolds any day.
 Ramblin dave 08 Mar 2017
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

> Perhaps, as you've suggested, you could go via a walk in the Peak en route to the airport on the Friday. Though it's not hugely en route so you'd be doing a lot of extra driving for a relatively short day out (for a possibly more logical journey to the airport I'd maybe consider the Malvern Hills or something in the Cotswolds instead... just a thought)

I'm not actually sure that Malvern would save you much driving time compared to the South end of the Peak.

I'd agree that Snowdonia is probably the way forward for Saturday and Sunday. For a first timer I'd recommend something like Snowdon from the South on Saturday and something like Moel Siabod or Glyder Fawr (with an earlyish start and a decent pace) or maybe a stop near Llangollen (without them) for the Sunday.
 Dave Hewitt 08 Mar 2017
In reply to JR_NL:

The Howgills might fit the bill for your Saturday outing - nearer and easier to reach than the Lakes (just off the M6), and quieter. Lovely bit of country - nice grassy ridge-walking without being too high or arduous. You could easily put together a decent day-length circuit there. Then a Sunday morning on Ingleborough or Pen-y-ghent before driving to Birmingham.
mysterion 08 Mar 2017
In reply to JR_NL:
For the friday have a look at the Malverns or Long Mynd, short 3 hour hillwalks having motorway most of the way to/from Birmingham airport. The Peak District is a bit too scattered about for a quick visit. Maybe Malverns on friday then Long Mynd sunday on your way back from Snowdonia. Can see both the Malverns and Snowdon from Long Mynd on a good day, there is a topograph on the high point, so maybe a nice way to end your trip
Post edited at 13:22
 BnB 08 Mar 2017
In reply to JR_NL:

I can't believe anyone is suggesting anything but Snowdonia/Lakes. These are world famous, magnificent and mountainous national parks that give a real summit experience for relatively little effort. Exactly what the OP is asking for.

The Cotswolds, the Malverns? The Peak (its named after a tribe, there are no pointy bits)? No!!

Go to Snowdonia as quickly as you can and leave as late as possible. It's a very varied landscape. Snowdon, Moel Siabod, Cader Idris. Great shouts all but plenty to see in the valleys. Llanberis Pass is magnificent, Bedgelert has a wonderful setting.
J1234 08 Mar 2017
In reply to JR_NL:

The traffic on Sunday could be horrendous and make the journey from the Lakes stressful, not sure about heading from Snowdonia as never do that journey
. An area I have not walked but have travelled through for climbing and intend returning to walk and would involve less driving is Shropshire, Mid Wales and Llangolen areas. In this area is Ironbridge if the weather is inclement. I use the website walkingbritain to find walks, but if you fancy the area I am sure somone on here could help.
 Ramblin dave 08 Mar 2017
In reply to BnB:

> I can't believe anyone is suggesting anything but Snowdonia/Lakes. These are world famous, magnificent and mountainous national parks that give a real summit experience for relatively little effort. Exactly what the OP is asking for.The Cotswolds, the Malverns? The Peak (its named after a tribe, there are no pointy bits)?

It's the issue of leaving Milton Keynes on Friday morning but needing to pick someone up from Birmingham airport at 18:00, I think. Hoofing it out to North Wales and then heading half way back and then out again is more time on the A5 than anyone can really be expected to deal with in a single day.

Although if the OP is adequately cold hearted then they could just head straight for North Wales or the Lakes and tell their mate to get a train out to Bangor or Penrith or something.
 nniff 08 Mar 2017
In reply to JR_NL:

I'd be inclined to go and do the Malvern Hills on Friday - fits the bill for easy walking, fine views and pubs and seriously hard to get lost. It's even got on old earthwork fort for some history and it's easy for Birmingham airport. Then I'd head to Cader Idris on Friday night for Saturday and somewhere else on Sunday - the Moelwyns, perhaps or Cnicht. Cader on a Friday evening should be a bit easier with the traffic too, and being a bit further south will help with the return on Sunday evening
OP JR_NL 08 Mar 2017
In reply to JR_NL:

This is great! Thank you guys for all the ideas so far. I'm going to look into it in more detail when I can (currently at work and internet at home is still broken), but an idea is starting to form in my head.

Friday it looks like Shropshire Hills, Malvern Hills or even the Cotswolds are better options than the Peak, especially to get the 2 guys I'm with into the whole outdoors idea. Nothing too difficult but still a nice day out and not as much of a detour. After we pick up the fourth person then go to Snowdonia that evenening so we have a full day on Saturday.

For the weekend Snowdonia seems to be the favourite around here, and looking at some of the walks Dan posted I can totally see why! There are some great routes and I wouldn't mind a bit of an easy scramble (I'm the guy going vertical with a rope after all), but I'll need to see what the rest thinks...

In any case I'll get the Snowdonia OS maps and start brushing up on my map/compass/navigation skills, as these are mainly based on flying. Tony's comment regarding the weather is a very good one. I'm thinking to sort out some options for each of the area's, and then leave it open (incl accommodation) until as late as possible.

I'll be back for sure, but thank you guys for everything so far!

Jurgen
 climbingpixie 08 Mar 2017
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> Although if the OP is adequately cold hearted then they could just head straight for North Wales or the Lakes and tell their mate to get a train out to Bangor or Penrith or something.

That's not a bad idea actually. A train from Birmingham to Bangor wouldn't be the most arduous of journeys and might well be quicker than the same drive at 6pm on a Friday night.
 Jim Fraser 08 Mar 2017
In reply to JR_NL:
No matter where you go the top tip is to get an understanding of your latitude and global position when in these hills.

Most of the hills in the UK and Eire are between 8 and 15 degrees from the Arctic Circle and exposed to North Atlantic weather systems.

That makes it whole different experience from the Alps or the Carpathians for instance. Not better or worse, but different.

Have a great time.
Post edited at 17:33
Medleysdad 08 Mar 2017
In reply to JR_NL:

Your schedule seems a bit ambitious with the Birmingham pick up. You will have little hill time on the Friday. As a southerner who heads for the Lakes regularly, here's an alternative. Get up early and hammer up the Motorway to the Lake District. Go to Ambleside - perhaps a group room at the Ambleside Youth Hostel (has 24 hour access). Cheap and cheerful. Do a Friday afternoon climbing something like Loughrigg Fell - everybody loves it. There are other small fells in the area suitable. Tell your mate to get on the 18.53 train from Birmingham International on Friday evening and pick him up at Oxenholme station near Kendal late evening. Someone will have to be non-drinker. If he misses that train its hire a car at the airport!

Saturday - Big walk. Fairfield Horseshoe perhaps from Ambleside. Or the Langdale Fells. Evening exploring pubs in Ambleside - The Golden Rule is the place to be!!

Sunday morning loads of options for a half day taking in another smaller hill, then back in your car at lunchtime to head back down south via Birmingham airport

Simples!

Bulls Crack 09 Mar 2017
 david100 09 Mar 2017
In reply to JR_NL:

According to google maps it takes the same time to travel from birmingham to the lakes or wales (approx 3 hours). So realistically you will have to choose between the two. Wales may have better weather but this is the uk so I am not sure that carries much weight. Wales has the classic snowden routes and tryfan. The lakes has a huge area of accessible mountainous walking and great natural beauty. Bear in mind the tallest mountain in england is in the lakes surrounded by as many peaks that are nearly as big. I suspect that if you want something of a rocky scramble then wales would be the choice in good weather. If however you want a long walking day with big height gain and distance in stunning surroundings then the lakes would be my choice. The key is flexibilty. People who walk and climb in the uk watch the weather forecast and plan accordingly. Unfortunately finding accomodation at a reasonable price at short notice might be difficult unless you are prepared to camp or hostel. Notice I have not mentioned the peak district etc. I spend many of my weekends in the peak district and it is a wonderful place with rolling moorland and gritstone edges but it simply does not compare to the lakes or wales. Wherever you go the uk is a walkers paradise so enjoy.
Medleysdad 09 Mar 2017
In reply to Bulls Crack:
Good point and trains from birm to Abergavenny. Brcons horseshoe a great walk
In reply to Bulls Crack:
Totally agree. I live there and for great walking with no one around it's hard to beat. Some awesome ridge walks. Black Hill, cracking narrow ridge, to Hay Bluff and on around to Offas Dyke is a great 10 miler. It's a no brainier!
OP JR_NL 10 Apr 2017
In reply to JR_NL:

After all the great help here I thought it would be rude not to let you know what we did in the end. Changing plans and some injuries (my knee still isn't 100% after getting runners knee in October) meant that it turned out to be more of a road trip with some easy walking rather than proper hiking.

Friday we went to explore the Cotswolds with visits to Bibury, Bourton-on-Water, a nice walk through the fields (all on Public Walks) and some great country road driving before heading to Birmingham to pick up the last member of the group. I already knew I didn't really like Birmingham that much, but at least we had a good catch-up.

Saturday we drove to North Wales and the great weather meant we weren't the only one. Lot's of time was spent enjoying the great Snowdonia scenery. In the afternoon we went for a walk around Llyn Idwal (not the only one). Couldn't help myself and walked up a hill to get a nice view of both Llyn Idwal and Llyn Ogwen and at least get some exposure. Ended up having dinner in Beddgelert staying in a lovely B&B in Barmouth.

Sunday started off with the Precipe Walk near Dolgellau (very easy, great views) and unfortunately getting out of Wales and back to Birmingham via Shrewsbury to make sure we were in time for our flights.

While we didn't do as much high up as I would've liked to, but man is Snowdonia beautiful!! I know that next time the weather probably won't be as good, but I'm going to be back for sure.... Now I just need to think what I want to do next time, and you guys gave great ideas for that. Thanks again for all the help!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...