Walking boot wear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Seanfred 05 Mar 2017
Hi folks this is my first post to this forum. I bought a pair of Altberg walking boots a year last May in preparation for the coast to coast summer 2015, compl ted and was really pleased with the boots. However by last autumn and without doing very much further walking the soles have become slippery in the wet douse to general wear of the grips. Am I expecting too much of them to last more than just the 18 months or so? I didn't do very much avatar the coast to coast perhaps using them on average 1- 2 days a month thereafter. Opinions and others' experience welcome . Thanks in advance.
 lordyosch 05 Mar 2017
In reply to Seanfred:

Hi, I have heard a few people comment that Alt-Berg are a bit slippery in the wet. I have Alt-Berg Tethera boots and have worn them for three to four years I think. I've not found them to be notably more slippery than the Meindl, Scarpa or Salomon boots I had before.

Are the soles worn down? If they are then Alt-Berg can resole them at a price much lower than buying new boots.

Hope that helps,

Jay
Seanfred 05 Mar 2017
In reply to lordyosch:

Thanks Jay have heard about the resole possibility just a bit surprised it's necessary after less than 2 years. Will investigate the resole option , thanks again.
. Seanfred
 GForce1 05 Mar 2017
In reply to Seanfred:

I wouldn't think they are any different to any other brand as the soles are vibram units.

I can vouch for their resole service; I had a pair of Mallerstang's resoled after about 2500km. The boots are now as good as new.
 Ridge 06 Mar 2017
In reply to GForce1:
> I wouldn't think they are any different to any other brand as the soles are vibram units.

Agreed. On the plus side the soles on Altbergs seem to have a reasonable depth and tread pattern for UK mud, rather than a multicoloured swirly pattern done by a graphic artist.

As you say, at least you can get a resole. With the current exchange rate Altberg seem very good value compared to Meindl, Salomon etc.
Post edited at 07:47

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...