4 season sleeping bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bleddynmawr 02 Mar 2017
Hi all,

I need advice please. My son is going on a school trip this summer to Peru. They will be going to altitude, don't know how high, and will be camping. They have been told that they need a 4 season bag. I've never had one preferring to use two lighter bags together. I'm a bit reluctant to shell out £300 for a bag that's never going to be used again. Obviously I need to find out more info but:

Is a 2 light bag option ok e.g as warm as a 4 season bag, and
If I do have to buy one any recommendations please?

many thanks,

Bleddynmawr
Dheorl 02 Mar 2017
In reply to bleddynmawr:
If you want cheap then synthetic is the way to go. Mountain Hardwear Lamina Torch is only £150ish and could probably be found for less/get discounts etc.
Post edited at 12:04
 Phil1919 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Dheorl:

Do they pack down ok?
 Phil1919 02 Mar 2017
In reply to bleddynmawr:

If you do get a 4 season bag, make sure you get one with a zip. I wouldn't get top of the range re warmth. A good tent/mat/sleeping bag liner plus some clothes worn at night, may mean you can get one that you will be able to use again in warmer climbs.
 La benya 02 Mar 2017
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Is he doing the extended Inca trail/ world challenge type thing?

I took a 3 season bag and was absolutely fine, got up to 4000m+ I think (i'm no expert at this type of stuff). Incidentally the bag is still going strong 13 years later!
The extra bulk will be really annoying for the rest of his trip,if it takes in a lot of the hotter areas of the country too?
They wont go out in harsh weather so it wont get colder than zero or so, which will be fine in a 3 bag and some clothes.

In reply to bleddynmawr:

Good quality down bags in good condition tend to sell well on here, you will recover some of what you spend easily.
 jezb1 02 Mar 2017
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Check out the outdoor gear exchange page on FB. Often sleeping bags used for one trip then sold on.

I'd go for a 4 season down bag, I feel the cold.
 Timmd 02 Mar 2017
In reply to bleddynmawr:

With Summiteer's next model up from this being sold by Needle Sports in the Lake District, a climbing/mountaineering/outdoor shop with a good reputation re staff and equipment, their Glow Worm 600 could be worth a ponder?

https://summiteerequipment.com/products/glowworm600 The 'worth a ponder' bag.

The decent climbing shop.

http://www.needlesports.com/51550/products/summiteer-glow-worm-800-blue-reg...
 Timmd 02 Mar 2017
In reply to bleddynmawr:
Down is (apparently) meant to be more flexible temperature wise, being less 'overheatable' in, as well as being warmer for the weight.

The Summiteer Glow Worm 600 is £149 btw...
Post edited at 19:29
 TobyA 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Looks like someone is giving Alpkit a run for their money! The look great for the money.
Dheorl 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Phil1919:

They're not dissimilar to cheaper down bags, but if you go for a higher end down bag (or one from one of the lesser known brands) it'll go smaller.
 Phil1919 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Dheorl:
Yes. I got a warm synthetic bag a long time ago and it took up half the sac. I never used it.
Post edited at 07:43
 Simon Caldwell 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> The Summiteer Glow Worm 600 is £149 btw...

If you're a BMC member the 800 is £145 from Needlesports. I got one last month, and on the basis of one use, I'm impressed so far.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...