Red light head torch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 iccy 01 Mar 2017
I'm in the market for a red light head torch for general use (camping, sailing, etc). Any recommendations on what I should be looking at? Any advice welcome!

I've got a Led Lenser H14.2 and an old BD one, but neither do red!

Iccy
 Dark-Cloud 01 Mar 2017
In reply to iccy:

The Petzl Tikka XP has a red mode, i use it when doing night photography stuff, plenty on offer here and there at the moment, Joe Brown for instance:

http://www.joe-brown.com/3804/products/petzl-tikka-xp-2-headtorch.aspx
OP iccy 01 Mar 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Nice one, thanks. Any other recommendations?

Al_Mac 01 Mar 2017
In reply to iccy:

The current BD Spot does it too.
 Slarti B 01 Mar 2017
In reply to iccy:

Alpkit Gamma?
OP iccy 01 Mar 2017
In reply to Cloverleaf:

Can you turn them on being red or do you have to cycle through other options? I find the cycling thing annoying when I know what I want!
 James FR 01 Mar 2017
In reply to iccy:

If the Petzl Tikka XP hasn't changed, you choose between red and white by pressing and holding the button. It then remembers your choice the next time you use it.
 Dark-Cloud 01 Mar 2017
In reply to James FR:

Yes, they still work like that. From memory i think if you press to turn on and keep it held it will go red, then to get it back white do the same.
 Al_Mac 01 Mar 2017
In reply to iccy:

You keep the power button down for a couple of seconds when turning it on and it turns on red.
OP iccy 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Cloverleaf:

Now I just need to find one - everywhere is sold out as they're discontinued!
 Al_Mac 02 Mar 2017
In reply to iccy:

Rock & Run seem to have them in stock, as do most other places. The older one isn't available any more but the rectangular one seems to be?
In reply to iccy:

Rather than dropping the money on a new head-torch, have you considered buying something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GV7JV7S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s0...

I got one to attach to a running jacket in winter use but I also sometimes attach it to a torch headband when someone's following. The light is at least as bright as the red mode on the newer model of the BD storm and it turns on at the light mode you last used (e.g. straight to red). The light is weatherproof and clips on quite securely (I run like a drunken mammoth and haven't had any problems).

I'm the last person to suggest you shouldn't buy another torch but thought this could be a cheap and pragmatic alternative for you, as well as offering some flexibility for alternative use. As you have some decent sounding lights, it might be worth a thought. They're more expensive than once they were, but twenty minutes sifting through reviews should find you something cheaper and just as serviceable.
 HeMa 02 Mar 2017
In reply to iccy:

If it is for like cookin' and reading the map, Petzl E-lite is a good option. It has 2 off positions, the other is next to the red options.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...