Holdall / Duffle bags?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ryan Parle 19 Feb 2017
I'm looking for a decent hard wearing Holdall/Duffle bag, a little while ago I bought the OEX Valour 80 from Go Outdoors, loaded it with 20kg of kit picked it up by the shoulder strap which promptly ripped out of the stitching and the bag fell to the floor. I was going to return it, but it also ended up with a load of holes worn in the base, I guess it was dragged by someone in the baggage handling, & I'm not sure if they will take it back.

So I'm after a replacement that will hold together with a moderate load and take a bit of punishment from time to time.

Any suggestions?
 shuffle 19 Feb 2017
In reply to Ryan Parle:

I've been using a Mountain Equipment one for several years. I think it was fairly expensive when I bought it, but it has taken a lot of abuse and is still going strong.
 Fraser 19 Feb 2017
In reply to Ryan Parle:

TNF Base Camp duffel, bombproof. I bought an XL on sale a few years back for £70 and it's been great.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/the-north-face-base-camp-duffel-xl-e2314260
 lordyosch 19 Feb 2017
In reply to Ryan Parle:

I've got a TNF duffle -lasted a long time.
Also have an ME Wet/Dry one. Has zippered bits at the the ends and a dry bag- very handy for stinky pants.

Both are well built

Jay
 Scott K 19 Feb 2017
In reply to Ryan Parle:
For a different take on it, have a look at Lomo. They make wetsuits but their bags look really good and cheap enough. They have 60 l expedition bag for about £35 which is tempting me at the moment.
Post edited at 19:10
 nathan79 19 Feb 2017
In reply to Ryan Parle:

If you don't need waterproof and don't mind the military look then Highlander/Pro Force do some decent heavy duty ones in various sizes. I've got a Highlander Loader 100L that's served me well since 2013, cost me £30. All the straps you need and cavernous. Doesn't have the cool factor of ME of TNF but all the practicality.
 Bish 19 Feb 2017
In reply to Ryan Parle:

I've had a few different holdalls in the past.

The ME wet and dry bag mentioned above was excellent and not that expensive. It survived years of abuse even a few months with deet leaking in the bottom which ate a hole through the inner layer of the base.

I would still be using it if it hadn't been stolen at work.

A mountain hardwear one I bought as a replacement has only been used for about 2byrs and is going in the bin as its trashed.

I recently bought a DMM void 100 which came highly recommended by a couple of different people. Was a good price on sale and I am quite impressed upon first inspection.
 TobyA 19 Feb 2017
In reply to Ryan Parle:

I'd return it if it started breaking that quickly.

My family has three TNF-style duffles, but all of them cheap(ish) models. The oldest is maybe 15 years old and came from a Nordic sports chain so not much help to you, but second one was from Decathlon, and must be at least 10 years old now. They have been used for carrying all our stuff when flying, I would guess at least 4-5 times a year, along with loading up in the car with camping gear and that sort of stuff. They are both still in perfect working order if a bit grubby. My wife just flew to Finland today with my younger son and they took the oldest of the duffles again as their hold luggage. The third one I bought from Aldi maybe 18 months ago, it hasn't been used so much for flights, but still gets loaded up with holiday stuff and chucked around campsites and stuff - and its fine, can see what could go wrong with it.

Look for bound seams, straps that go under the body of the bag and big beefy zips. Glad I never paid loads for a TNF one when my 15 quid Decathlon one has been perfect and even the 8 quid Aldi one seems great!
 knighty 19 Feb 2017
In reply to Ryan Parle:

I have a helly Hansen one which is pretty good. Much cheaper than the ME or North Face ones. It's got backpack straps that you can tuck away. Very useful!
 snoop6060 20 Feb 2017
In reply to Ryan Parle:

I have the ME one with wheels after a similar thread on here. Been on 6 trips and seems like it's gonna last. Shame it's so heavy tho (4.5kg) but I guess I could have not got the wheels

Far too lazy for that tho!

Was considering the alpkit ones if I decided to not get the wheels. Seams solid, light and cheap. And alpkit have ace customer service if you do have any issues.
 rachelpearce01 20 Feb 2017
In reply to Ryan Parle:

I've got the dmm flight bag which is great for travelling. It's the perfect size for hand luggage too and has some pretty handy features
 angry pirate 20 Feb 2017
In reply to Scott K:

My lomo 60litre holdall has had loads of abuse on expeds and is still going strong.
It's just had best part of 20 kg of hardware in it for a trip to Rjukan and Ryan Air failed to break it. Brilliant value though the wee fastex clips for the top straps are a bit fragile so I upgraded them with metal buckles from Alpkit.
I reckon mine will last a lifetime but if not I wouldn't hesitate buying another.
 Bimble 21 Feb 2017
In reply to Ryan Parle:

I use a Rab canvas-type job. Got it from Trekkit, was cheap as chips, cavernous and bombproof.
 Wendy Watthews 21 Feb 2017
In reply to Bish:

I would second the void, it is more square than others which I personally find better for packing than the more common round versions. So far it seems suitably rugged the only downside is the limited colours.
 olddirtydoggy 21 Feb 2017
In reply to Ryan Parle:

I'm using the Patagonia duffle. The weight is low and the bag so far after a year of moderate use is holding up well. The low weight means less of the flight weight allowance is used by the bag.
 nathan79 21 Feb 2017
In reply to Wendy Watthews:

All 3 sizes of the void are on sale at Rock+Run. 100L for under £55.

Tempted to grab one.
 dontfollowme 21 Feb 2017
In reply to nathan79:

How comfortable are they carry when in rucksack mode? Deciding between this and the Lowe Alpine Kit bag.
OP Ryan Parle 28 Feb 2017
In reply to Ryan Parle:

Thanks Guys, some good suggestions there, I ended up getting the Mountain Equipment one as they had it on offer at Cotswold Outdoors. it feels a lot more tough compared to the OEX & you can tell that the stitching around the strap connections is designed to last.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...