Mug to cook in?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greasy Prusiks 17 Feb 2017
Morning all,

I was looking at getting a mug/pot thing to go on top of my gas burner for solo bivvys ect.

What do people recommend? Does a heat exchange make a big improvement to efficency or is a simple metal mug as good? I'm struggling to find a heat exchange mug that doesn't have a stove attached.

Cheers for any help.
 r0b 17 Feb 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Alpkit MytiMug 650 - https://www.alpkit.com/products/mytimug

Currently sold out but due back in stock next month. Perfect if your cooking needs just extend to heating water for drinks and dehydrated expedition meals.
In reply to r0b:

> Alpkit MytiMug 650 - https://www.alpkit.com/products/mytimugCurrently sold out but due back in stock next month. Perfect if your cooking needs just extend to heating water for drinks and dehydrated expedition meals.

+1

also Mytimug 900 for larger needs

TWS
 Rog Wilko 17 Feb 2017

Thought this would continue 'when you can nip out for a takeaway'
 TobyA 17 Feb 2017
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

I've also recently bought a Mytimug and am very happy with it for overnight bivvies and the like. https://www.flickr.com/photos/toby-northern_light/31454834831/ For years I've used a cheaper aluminium Primus one around the same volume. It's pretty light and compact but its noticeable how much lighter and also thinner the Ti one is.
 Smythson 17 Feb 2017

Got the same setup as TobyA (which i think is a MSR/Primus micro Ti burner? I've only got a cheapo eBay one but works great) but with regards to efficiency you can get a Ti windshield that wraps around the bottom of the pot but does allow a little flow up the sides.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Whilst I'm here does anyone have an opinion on the alpkit jackal? How practical is it to use the top bit as a mug?
 TobyA 17 Feb 2017
In reply to Smythson:

> I've only got a cheapo eBay one but works great)

So have I! Mine was I think 7.50 inc shipping from China and it weights 27 grams or something utterly ridiculous, yet seems to work as well as my old Pocket Rocket, which now feel hideously heavy in comparison!

> but with regards to efficiency you can get a Ti windshield that wraps around the bottom of the pot but does allow a little flow up the sides.

Is this a DIY job or can you buy one? Sounds interesting. So far I've been surviving using bits of kit to build a temporary windshield when using the stove but was going to try and fashion something out of some thicker aluminium trays that came with flapjack or something like that.

In reply to TobyA:

Yes and with Titanium being biologically inert it doesn't impart any flavour .
Its has a strange texture though being a brushed like matt finish. Not that I eat it.

TobyA 17 Feb 2017

Can't imagine it's that difficult. I've got a very old Jetboil and I have reviewed the Primus jetboil clone in the past, you can drink out of the pots, although I've often taken a very light plastic cup with me just from personal preference. I've often eaten food out of the pot though, normally nothing more ambitious than couscous with some fish or sausage chunks in it though. Hard to do much besides boil in jetboils.
 Smythson 17 Feb 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Haha! That's the one! Even if it only lasts a few trips it'll still be a bargain.

DIY job - eBay again gives you the foil thin enough to be very light but thick enough to maintain it's ability to wrap around. I found it needed either holes in it or some ripples to allow air up the sides. If it's sealed around the base of the pot then it seems to stifle airflow and the heat comes back out from underneath it and away from the pot and the burner seems to struggle as i think there's not enough air.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...