Good compact coffee grinder

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 snoop6060 16 Feb 2017
Evening,

I know there are a few knowledgeable coffee types on here. Looking for a electric grinder that's good but compact as it will live on the counter where real estate is at a premium. Will pay decent money if needed. Got recommended a sage one but it looks massive on Amazon.

Any recommendations?

Generally use an aeropress if that makes a difference.

I want something absolutely reliable, my last one turned me violent and hand grinders aren't for me

Cheers
Si
 Tall Clare 16 Feb 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

Our electric grinder is an elegant, compact, but not very fancy Bodum Bistro one - very reliable but no ability to adjust the size of grind, if I remember rightly (it's a while since we used it). Our hand grinder is a Porlex Mini Mill - very compact, very reliable, but not the thing for you. We were given the Mini Mill for use with an aeropress.
OP snoop6060 16 Feb 2017
In reply to Tall Clare:

I will openly admit that the only reason I don't want a hand grinder is that I'm lazy and impatient. My last one was just too slow and involved. This is the main reason I use an aeropress. It's great for people like me.
In reply to snoop6060:

You don't need a particularly good grinder for an areopress as you don't need a very fine grind. Something like a Bodum or Krupps burr grinder would not take up much worktop space and should be up to the job. The benefit of a high quality grinder is that they can grind fine enough and consistent enough for an espresso machine. However, they are bigger, much more expensive and unnecessary for your current needs.

When you have short list it would be worth reading reviews including how noisy they are, how messy, and how easy it is to clean the burrs. The burrs benefit from a quick brush on a regular basis to remove any oily residue and old grinds, so it's preferable if this is a simple job.
 Tall Clare 16 Feb 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

The Porlex is even less faff than the Aeropress!
 Bimble 16 Feb 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

Another vote for the Porlex Mini when used in conjunction with an Aeropress.
OP snoop6060 17 Feb 2017
In reply to Tall Clare:

Less faff than an aeropress, now we are talking
OP snoop6060 19 Feb 2017
In reply to Unknown Climber:

Took your recommendation for the bodrum burr grinder purely for its size. Arrived yesterday and it's absolute ideal. Cheers.
In reply to snoop6060:

Glad you like it.
 Oliver Houston 20 Feb 2017
In reply to Tall Clare:

I find I can control the grind of our Bodum (something or other) with grind time, longer grind=finer grounds... Fine enough anyway.
 Cú Chullain 20 Feb 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

The GME 10 is pretty good for those really stubborn beans

http://www.globalminingequipment.com/gme10---jaw-rock-crusher.html

Flinticus 21 Feb 2017
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Awesome promo! Though I wonder how long they spent selecting the music. I reckon I could have picked a better tune.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...