Looking for a tent for wild camping with dog

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lee Sutcliffe 16 Feb 2017

I know these questions have been done to death but as the title suggests, I'm looking for a lightweight mountain tent for me and my Labrador (currently 11 months old and nearly 30kg so not small)

As much as I'd like a tent that is bomb proof and can be used in the depths of winter in Scotland, thinking logically, I'm not likely to be doing this with my dog. So perhaps a 3 season tent would suffice?

I know that tunnel tents are lighter but I'm also aware they are noisy in high winds and I'm apprehensive about these in the UK given the changing wind direction. Keen to know other people's thoughts.

I prefer a geodesic design but know strength comes with extra weight

Cash wise I don't mind spending money for the right tent.
I've been looking a a few but open to suggestions and comments.

TN - Superlight Voyager
TN - Ultra Quasar
Hilleberg - Nallo

Thanks
Lee
Post edited at 08:05
 james wardle 16 Feb 2017
In reply to Lee Sutcliffe:

In writing this is realise i have too many tents...,

The quasar is bomb proof but a bit heavy, we generally take this when there are two of us and we can split the load still going strong after 25 years.

The voyager is very good and lite for a one man tent I use it year round but can see it could get squashed on a really bad winters day.

I have a Nallo 4 as the big family tent for me it's a bit heavy and while it stays up all the time so far I also don't trust it in a blow.

If you don't mind a small space and have to carry your tent I would go for a voyager, the build quality on recent TN tents does not seem to be as good as the really old ones but its still better than most.
OP Lee Sutcliffe 16 Feb 2017
In reply to james wardle:

Thanks James, I am leaning towards the Voyager with the thought of possibly getting something more bomb proof and a bit roomier when I can share the load with someone.
 Tall Clare 16 Feb 2017

We had a very old normal Quasar and a Voyager, then we got a dog. We now use the Voyager for lightweight backpacking (lighter weight, anyway) and have a Super Quasar for when the dog (a German Pointer, about 25kg, sleeps like a starfish half the time) is with us. The SQ has the advantage of being 6" wider than the regular Quasar, and it's designed to be bombproof, but the consequent disadvantage is that it's pretty heavy and not that small for lugging in a backpack.

My recommendation would be to go as big as you can bear to carry. Snuggling up next to a wet dog with little room to manoeuvre isn't that fun...
 Pkrynicki1984 16 Feb 2017

I have a Nallo2 , it is bombproof in high winds but very noisy indeed.
 planetmarshall 16 Feb 2017

Vango Force 10 and strap it to the dog.
 doc_h 16 Feb 2017
I also have too many tents. I have all three that you mention (TN - Superlight Voyager
TN - Ultra Quasar, Hilleberg - Nallo)

The Nallo is pretty bombproof but does suffer from condensation, mainly as the fly comes right down to the ground (being what they call an 'all season' tent). This condensation happens on my ordinary Nallo2 and my Nallo2 with the extended porch. This would probably be a pain with a dog and is maybe too strong a tent for 3 season use. It's also noisy in the wind - and very expensive

I agree with others who say the Quasar is also bombproof. As with the Hillibergs I have both the ordinary and the extended tent canopy versions. My wife and I always use the ETC one when wild camping in Scotland during out winter climbing trips, but only when I don't have to carry it too far as it is quite heavy.

The Voyager is really a one and a half man tent. Comfortable for one but a bit of a squeeze for two. However, it is quite light, packs small and would take a man and his dog nicely. I have had one of the poles snap during a gale in Glencoe a few years ago but it is really a 3 season tent and also I had the wrong pole crossing on top at the front so that was probably my fault.

I'd definitely go for the Voyager for what you need.
Post edited at 18:53
 Dave the Rave 16 Feb 2017

TN Solar 2 has done me 16 years so far. A good porch so you and the dog can sit side by side looking at the view.
 Nbrain 17 Feb 2017
In reply to Tall Clare:

We have a pointer too and sleeps exactly the same...upside down with all 4 legs apart!

I have a NF westwind which is about 15years old and still going grand. Fine all year round and well ventilated. It is ok for one and the dog or two people but not all 3!

I'm keen to try one of the Alpkit tents..I think they have one called a Viso coming out later in the spring which looks like a tunnel with decent porch but time will tell, my experience with any other of there stuff has been great so i have high hopes!
OP Lee Sutcliffe 17 Feb 2017
In reply to Nbrain:

Thanks for all the comments... my also dog has a tendency to sleep like a starfish so I'll bear that in mind. Still leaning towards the Voyager given the weight advantage but may see if I can see one in the flesh before making the choice.

Cheers
Lee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...