Simond cascade pants

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
brownie664 15 Feb 2017
Liked the Simond / Decathlon Alpinism pant (bargain at £32 now btw!) but was wondering about these as a lighter alternative:
Simond Cascade pant
https://www.simond.com/cascade-men-pants-id_8358689

Anyone got any experience / views of them?

Cheers

Ian

brownie664 18 Feb 2017
In reply to brownie664:

I got a pair online, they seem more of hybrid waterproof / soft-shell type pant - they sound like waterproofs! Maybe not breathable enough for me, looks like they will be going back
Removed User 18 Feb 2017
In reply to brownie664:
They are waterproof - 10,000 mm hydrostatic head. But have you tried them yet (just walking around the city) and know whether they are not very breathable? They have a breathability rating of RET = 6, which is about the same as Gore-Tex, so in theory should be pretty breathable. Plus they have ventilation zips.

I'm also quite interested in them. I am currently wearing normal G1000 (mostly cotton?) Fjällräven trousers for everything outdoors, but they are not very water resistant, have no internal gaiters (I hate gaiters, carrying them around, the looks of them etc.), are not reinforced against crampons etc. So looking for some trousers for winter hill walking and mountaineering. Simond has several ones that seem to fit the bill - the 'Alpinism pants' (currently on sale), the 'Cascade pants' and a new model, the 'Mountaineering pants'.

I quite like the Cascades, because they look better (I dig the charcoal/grey colour scheme) and are waterproof, rather than just water repellent, but the product description stresses that they are meant for 'mountaineers who mainly do ice climbing'. So I am not sure whether they are meant for walking and 'normal' mountaineering (i.e. scrambling, not scaling vertical ice).

If anyone has the Cascades and could way in on this, that'd be great
Post edited at 15:20
brownie664 18 Feb 2017
In reply to Removed UserFuchs:
No I've not tried them walking around, I'll probably take them back so I dont want to muck them about. I was looking for a lighter version of the Alpinism pant rather than a waterproof. I'd be mainly use them for ski touring and walking munros in winter. I'm figuring they might be too warm for Alpine spring touring and not waterproof enough for Scotland.

Aside from that they do look great though!
Post edited at 22:35
 pass and peak 19 Feb 2017
In reply to brownie664:

Bought a pair on Friday so will let you know what there like in a week or so, should have been tested by then. They are quite long in the leg mind, but then every thing is for me. BTW been using the Alpinism pant on a few outings lately and found them great, deeper snow does tend to push apart the velcro closer on lower leg and then freezes up with ice so won't stay closed. But this happens with most pants I tried and should normally wear gaiter! They were also more waterproof than I expected and more than the claimed water resistant!
Removed User 19 Feb 2017
In reply to pass and peak:

Cool, eagerly awaiting your report

In regard to the velcro/gaiter - does that mean snow actually enters, or is it only an issue with the velcro not sticking properly any more?
 pass and peak 20 Feb 2017

No Snow doesn't enter as it has an internal gaiter but the Velcro not sticking means you end up with flared bottoms catching your crampon! fine once the ice melts off the Velcro!
Removed User 20 Feb 2017

Good to know. First time I went winter hill walking in very deep snow I wore skiing salopettes which had internal gaiters, but the deep snow just pushed them up over time, and the lace hook didn't help because it just became frozen and unhooked itself all the time.

So I was wondering whether the internal gaiters on dedicated mountaineering trousers are any better, and it seems they are Maybe they are tighter as they don't need to fit over massive skiing boots.
Removed User 05 Mar 2017

Pass and peak, have you had a chance to try the trousers out yet?
 neuromancer 05 Mar 2017

Most mountain trousers of this kind have two eyelets on the bottom of the gaiters that you can run bungee cord between. Then just hook this under the sole of your boots.

This helps when you're wearing super gaiters boots without laces.
 pass and peak 06 Mar 2017

Sorry yeh forgot! So I've had them for 4 good days out in Scottish Rain, Slush and snow and I have to say so far so good, quite impressed for the price rely. The worst weather day they did finally give up around the crotch and knee area, but this was after 5hrs in the pissing rain and some sliding about in the wet snow, so no worse than my ME pants when new that cost a lot more. Like they say their all day pants, you ain't going to get them on/off over boots. but the side ventilation zips work well and for summer you can zip off the internal gaiters! What they'll be like in 6 months is anyone's guess but so far so good!
Removed User 06 Mar 2017

Thanks a lot for the mini-review! So it's more like an (almost) waterproof softshell than a hardshell? No excessive sweating? Sounds good, guess I'll get it for the next autumn/winter season.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...