Conditions reports

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm on holiday this week from work. With a southerly airflow and likely temperature inversion, where can I find ice to climb on a North facing crag?

Stuart
 Andy Nisbet 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Stuart the postie:

I only know about Torridon and northwards. There's very little ice because it's been dry for several weeks. The river in Torridon was as dry 3 days ago as I've seen it in the middle of a hot summer. Even the turf was beginning to dry out. I doubt much will survive the thaw. Further south is your best bet.
 alasdair19 15 Feb 2017

There is nothing in coire na ciste on the Ben either. Same problem as torridon I've never seen so little snow up there. There is a few bizarre pics on Facebook of e traverse. A path with 6 inches of compacted snow on top.

Sadly beginning to look that winter is almost over. Outlook into mid-March does not inspire much confidence.
 bonebag 15 Feb 2017

Been on Tower Ridge today. More snow on it than we thought and rimed up near the top from the Great Tower onwards. Hard neve going under the boulder on the eastern traverse. So was actually a good day out. Temp above freezing on the summit.

Did Twisting Gully yesterday but was very soft snow. Very little ice to be seen.

Set for a thaw tomorrow and prolonged rain so not so good unfortunately.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...