Franco Cookson talk at BMC North East Area Meeting: 16 February

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Team BMC 09 Feb 2017
Come along to our next gathering of climbers and walkers in the North East area and get involved in the work of the BMC.

Date: Thursday 16 February 2017, starting at 7.00pm
Venue: Durham Climbing Centre, St. John's Road, Durham DH7 8TZ

Area meetings are run by volunteers and are your chance to join in with debate and influence decisions about what happens in your area as well as the rest of the country.

Guest speaker for the evening is champion of the North York Moors Franco Cookson, who will be familiar to many UKC regulars.

Durham Climbing Centre is hosting the meeting, so why not get there early and fit in a climbing session too?

All are welcome. The BMC will provide food.
See the BMC Local Areas site for more details: http://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=3824
 toad 09 Feb 2017
In reply to Team BMC:

Guest speaker for the evening is champion of the North York Moors Franco Cookson, who will be familiar to many UKC regulars.

Did anyone else read this and suddenly feel very old?
 abr1966 09 Feb 2017
In reply to toad:

Yep....my first thought was 'isn't he that kid that posts on here'!
 FactorXXX 09 Feb 2017
In reply to abr1966/toad

Did anyone else read this and suddenly feel very old?
Yep....my first thought was 'isn't he that kid that posts on here'!

Nope.
I'm about the same age as you two and the first thing I thought was that Franco is an excellent choice for a speaker for a BMC North East meeting.
 abr1966 09 Feb 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

That's great....I'm sure it will be interesting, I'm not sure that Toad or myself were reflecting on the quality of the speaker though!
 toad 09 Feb 2017
In reply to abr1966:

yes, I certainly wasn't having a pop, more that it seems like only yesterday he was..........etc..etc...
 d_b 09 Feb 2017
In reply to toad:

He won't get it for a few years, and then he will suddenly realise that he is past it when some kid who used to post on here has been invited to give a talk at...
 Lemony 09 Feb 2017
In reply to Team BMC:

I assume Andy F will be picketing the venue?
Removed User 09 Feb 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

Me too, though I think the venue ought to be at one of Franco's favourite haunts so his detractors can repeat and downgrade his routes
 d_b 10 Feb 2017
In reply to Removed User:

Does walking around the side count?
Removed User 10 Feb 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

Depends on your style.
 d_b 10 Feb 2017
In reply to Removed User:
Having seen pictures of some of the lines I think my best chance of following them would be a walk around the side followed by a gravity assisted reverse ascent.

I wouldn't want to show people up by soloing it.
Post edited at 00:07
 FactorXXX 10 Feb 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

He won't get it for a few years, and then he will suddenly realise that he is past it when some kid who used to post on here has been invited to give a talk at...

Better realising that you're past it, than not realising that you ever had it in the first place...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...